Question Overwhelmed by choice of diving operators—any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HillEasterner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello. I'll be traveling to Cozumel solo for five days in May and there are so many dive operators there, I don't know where to start. I'm staying in Centro, and looking for a well-regarded boutique dive operator—preferably one I can walk to. I'm in my mid-40s and I've got ~200 dives. I like groups of 4-6 people. I like chill/friendly but experienced operators with newish equipment, no cruise ship divers, don't care about photography, and I don't need the cheapest place on the block. Any advice? Thank you!

We used Scuba Life. They run, I think no more than 8 divers on a boat and put two dive masters in the water. My regulator went into freeflo on the first dive of our 4th day. They had a reg on the boat (not a great reg but it worked). I rented a reg from them for the next few days and they brought me a very nice scuba pro reg, And the divemasters were good at finding little stuff. They found some nudibranchs and that was way cool.

Aldora is my choice and clicks all your boxes. I stay at Casa Mexicans and they pick us up and drop us off at the pier across the street. At Last count they had 6 or 7 boats and try to group by skill level after the first day. The first day is usually a checkout dive to determine which dive sites are appropriate for you for the rest of the week. I like Jorgito and Sharief as DM’s.

Aldora uses steel 120 tanks or steel 100’s for loooooooong dives. We have had 2 hour dives before and 90 minute dives are pretty regular. The big tanks, pickup across the street, multiple 6 pack boats, long dives, and Jorgito/Sharief are why we dive with Aldora. It’s easy to find a great dive op on Coz, the hard part is finding the perfect op for you. Aldora works for us.

Other popular options will be Tres Pelicanos, Blue Magic, Dive With Martin and I know the owner of a new op, Sharkys, and would not hesitate to dive with them either.

Good Luck, Safe travels.

jay

I've done my share of cheerleading for Scubalife Cozumel and will continue since they are my favorite DO on the island. They meet your criteria except that they operate out of the Fonatur marina so not within walking distance but worth the taxi fare to use them IMHO.

I generally prefer dive ops associated with the resort where I'm staying. Among operators that aren't affiliated with a resort, Aldora is highly regarded. Some of the services they offer are unique to the island.

(987) 872.3397 | US (210) 569.1203 |

frontdesk@aldora.com

I'm not sure what's up with the claim of being #1. Pretty sure every operator in Coz claims to be #1, but I digress.

I'm staying in Centro, and looking for a well-regarded boutique dive operator—preferably one I can walk to.
Jonhall did a recent study of what dive ops offer on the island. See his explanation on page one at Finding a (Best) Dive Op in Cozumel and his latest update is on post #75.

I stay at cheap, little hotel a block south of the centro plaza and take a short walk to a nearby pier to be picked up by Salty Endeavors. They pick up much of my gear at my hotel when I arrive, have it on the boat for me every day, rinse and store it for me at their shop. There are dozens of others to select from tho. Enjoy your trip.

Is that the same Aqua Safari pier that Aldora uses, or a different pier?
He used to use the Aqua Safari pier. Now uses the one between Salas and Calle 3.

I had to stop laughing at people who lose their phones by being careless as I left mine on the bench just outside of the pier entrance. I discovered it missing in my room, hurried back, asked the guy who collects a buck from each person using it, and he directed me to the other fellow holding it for me.

He used to use the Aqua Safari pier. Now uses the one between Salas and Calle 3.

I had to stop laughing at people who lose their phones by being careless as I left mine on the bench just outside of the pier entrance. I discovered it missing in my room, hurried back, asked the guy who collects a buck from each person using it, and he directed me to the other fellow holding it for me.
I'm thinking about having mine surgically implanted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom