Info Beginners Guide To BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was about to pull the trigger on the DGX package and noticed a significant jump in price of more than 10%, now at $399. Is this package still worth it or should other options be considered? I'm not looking at the cheapest, but would like to pick a solid option with good value. Looking to spend about <$500 to start with.
I just finished putting together my DGX this weekend. I got the basic Hogarthian kit with a SS backplate. Check my thread on its assembly if you're interested. Executive summary - easy assembly, multiple options for the waist section.

I placed my order for the Dgx package with the aluminum backplate and weight pockets. Since they are pretty close by to my house, I’ll be picking up at their location.
Question, I would like to attach my small aqualung squeeze knife to this setup. Any recommendations?

Question, I would like to attach my small aqualung squeeze knife to this setup. Any recommendations?
Depends on where you want it. I often see those zip tied to the inflators.

Standard location is the waist belt. You want it easily accessible by both hands unless you have another cutting tool for the other hand.

This is how I ended up mounting the aqualung squeeze knife. I ordered an empty cutting tool sleeve from dgx. I cut a little hole on the upper section of the sleeve and used the knife mounting screw and nut. Very secure
78E95569-CA51-4D42-818C-D1ADD793EB24.jpeg
A82F1719-3C53-41A1-BF02-B9AFF47C705F.jpeg

My search did not yield a satisfactory answer, forgive me for asking something that might have been answered.
I have always used scubapro classic bcd since I started in 1994. With that setup I need about 8 pounds with a 3mm shorty which it’s what I use 90% of the time.
I went with the dgx + aluminum bp, and the bp is listed as 2 pounds on their page. Should I plan on using 6 pounds or go with my usual 8 pounds?
I seen conflicting information on the aluminum bp providing some negative buoyancy.

It definitely contributes negative buoyancy (it sinks, after all!). The unknown is what does your current BC contribute. You can measure this if you are so inclined and decrease lead accordingly.

Alternatively, the easy bet is to just use the same weight but test whether your wing is empty at the safety stop. (Purge regulator to about 500 psi first.) If you can then vent more than a few bubbles, drop 1-2 lbs off before your next dive. Repeat until it's dialed.

I would measure, but I also have access to a deep tub in which I can sink it.

It definitely contributes negative buoyancy (it sinks, after all!). The unknown is what does your current BC contribute. You can measure this if you are so inclined and decrease lead accordingly.

Alternatively, the easy bet is to just use the same weight but test whether your wing is empty at the safety stop. (Purge regulator to about 500 psi first.) If you can then vent more than a few bubbles, drop 1-2 lbs off before your next dive. Repeat until it's dialed.

I would measure, but I also have access to a deep tub in which I can sink it.
I don’t think I’ve ever heard about testing your weight at the safety stop like you suggested before. But it totally makes sense. Thanks for that!

I really appreciate the original poster about the BP/W info. I am currently building out my first BP/W setup. So far I have only purchased the VDH Argonaut Wing #23 and I am nervous about it being too small. My previous BCD was a ScubaPro SeaHawk with a whopping 53lbs of lift. The change will be interesting to say the least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom