Roatan Options with Family

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

georgec02

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

Kids are certified, and we're scoping out some options for spring break. Roatan is on the list as a place that looks like it has great diving and good value. We've never been there before.

I read though @drrich2 very thorough research on the following link

What looks like the usual suspects (AKR, Cocoview, Turquoise Bay) don't have availability for our dates.

Our situation:
  • Family of 4, 2 newly certified junior PADI divers
  • Looking for someplace that we can both dive and relax - beach preferable
  • Optimal situation is probably morning dives and kicking back to relax in the afternoons, maybe squeezing another dive on some of them
There are two options that have availability: Las Rocas and Reef House, but not a ton of recent feedback, with this thread from 2020 being the most recent

Las Rocas looks like it's on the edge of West Bay
  • Smaller place (+ for us)
  • Rocky, but has a deck and small beach
  • Breakfast, rest of meals a la carte, with West Bay close by for dinners/excursions
  • Different bungalow/room options all with AC
The Reef House is on the East Side.
  • Basic bungalows with AC. Comments are that they are on the darker side inside, but assuming we'd spend more of our time outside
  • No beach
  • More remote, harder to get out and about
  • They've switched to an a la carte model
  • Seems like it's more of a place where you'd go if all you want to do is get a lot of diving in
Any other options I've reached out to or looked at:
  • MayanPrincess (sounds like they don't have rooms)
  • Barefoot Cay looks on the pricier end but really nice,
  • SeaGrape was another place mentioned, but not a ton of info- West End, has pool, but looks like rocky/no beach
Also, any thoughts on anything else family-oriented to do while there would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Fantasy Island. Across the channel from CoCo View. Usually lots of vacancies there for a good reason. Lol

Reactions: Doc
I have been to Seagrape twice, they helped my daughter who was having a rough time at it, get certified. Great dive operation even if you don’t chose to stay there.

I haven't been to Las Rocas for a few years, but it is in a nice location and would be a good choice for a family of 4. At the time we went they provided transportation to and from the airport. There were enough eating establishments in West End and West Bay that we didn't have to leave the area. Dive Shop was good and convenient, but it has been a few years so you might want to hear from someone with more recent experience.

You really don't want to lounge on a beach in Roatan. The sand fleas will eat you alive
I did hear about the infamous sand fleas. So, bug spray doesn't help at all?

You really don't want to lounge on a beach in Roatan. The sand fleas will eat you alive
I was never bothered by them when we were in Roatan, but I don't usually sit on the beach. We have similar creatures here in British Columbia and in particular at our cabin. They seem to come and go, so maybe it's the same in Roatan. We also encountered some minuscule biting insects in Cabo Pulmo this past visit....again I think they're seasonal but repellant does seem to work.

I’m not familiar with either other than grabbing food outside las Rocas a few times. I’ve been to Roatan 4x and always stayed at West Bay Lodge. I certainly think there is more freedom to walk to places between West Bay and West End if you stay on that side. Personally, I don’t like feeling trapped at a spot where a taxi is my only escape.

I did hear about the infamous sand fleas. So, bug spray doesn't help at all?
Judging from past reports, they afflict different people differently. You may see a report where 2 people went to Roatan, one got eaten up and the other only mildly bothered, on the same trip. Yes, some bug sprays (e.g.: with DEET, which isn't thought to be good for coral reefs) do help. But depending on how bad the bugs want you... Oh, and be mindful DEET is said to be able to dissolved some plastics; watch what you get it on.

One question is how much your family typically goes in and out of the water, from wading to laying on a beach lounger. Stands to reason that'll was some of the bug spray off.

Richard.

I'm treating my son, his wife, and two grand kids to a week at the recently rebuilt "The Beach House" in West End. It's a beautiful colonial style building on the water with 14 rooms. It's not cheap. My wife and I will be staying across the street at Chillies. Chillies is cheap. I dive with Native Sons, the house shop for Chillies, but there are lots of dive operators in West End.

Back
Top Bottom