Suggestions for mask leaking - after brain surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jruss

New
Reaction score
Hi, I’m 61 years old and have enjoyed scuba diving and snorkeling for years. I had brain surgery 2 years ago and now find it next to impossible to find a face mask that will not leak constantly due to my left temple area near the eye being more concave after the surgery. I cannot get a solid seal. Would greatly appreciate any ideas! I have a narrow face to begin with adding to the difficulties.

It's very hard to point you to a specific mask, but go look into the freediving section. Those masks are usually quite small.

I have had trouble getting a good seal also. I was introduced to a product usually used for dry suit seals. Just a thin film and it sticks very well. Your local shop might have something similar.

Found this at DRIS

I am structured similarly with deep temple depressions and have tried a bunch of masks and tried on many multiples more.

The best that I have found for me so far is the Tilos Excel mask:
1641878140010.png

It has a fairly narrow double skirt (about 4.75" at the junction of the inner and outer skirt across the temple area), but with a big lens that sits very close in, giving a good balance of wide viewing angles and low volume.

It is not perfect on the seal. I need to tweak it on some dives to get the position, strap angle and tightness. Overall, it is the first mask that generally let's me dive without clearing ever couple minutes - frequently not at all.

From this old SB thread (Tilos excel mask info) it appears that the Promate Raven may be the same mask with a slightly different strap buckle system and about $20 less on Amazon: Amazon Promate Raven vs. Amazon Tilos Excel

Obviously, YMMV. I'll be watching the thread to see if other good options come up.

I have had trouble getting a good seal also. I was introduced to a product usually used for dry suit seals. Just a thin film and it sticks very well. Your local shop might have something similar.

Found this at DRIS

I second the mask sealant from DRIS! I use it for my mustache and it works awesome.
Masks are like motorcycle seats, tires or oil. Ask ten people what their favorite is and you get ten different answers. When you do find one that fits without leaking buy 2 extras!

I'd try the mask that @mako sends. If that doesn't work you may have to modify a mask to fit your temple area. I use the DRIS sealant and it does help, but it may not be enough.

It's very hard to point you to a specific mask, but go look into the freediving section. Those masks are usually quite small.
  • Technisub Micromask?
  • Have you placed the mask skirt underneath the hood? Or above?

Duct tape? (jk)... Have you tried any of the full face masks? Looks like they may seal a bit aft of your indentation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom