New charges for Sotis (Add helium)and Emilie Voissem (Nexus Underwater)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only thing I found was a rEvo back in November. Bunch of random stuff throughout the year. Pull his profile, see who he has for friends. "No Friends"
All he has available are pictures of his dog. https://www.facebook.com/groups/192208314265926/user/100001629322254

I never knew him in person. No reason I would be blocked, until now.

I never knew him personally. I did share the former Pompano Dive Ctr boats with him multiple times. Add Helium used them all the time for training dives. He seemed like a nice enough guy. He was never rude nor obnoxious to me in any way. He also never went out of his way to interact with anyone other than his students and his fellow Add Helium instructors. That isn't unusual. Instructors on a dive charter are busy and don't typically have time to "chat up" the boat. I knew exactly who he was and knew his reputation but never went out of my way to introduce myself. I just watched as a casual observer.

I was on one of those boats with him not long after the Rob Stewart incident. I was a bit surprised to see him out diving already. You could tell he was troubled based upon his body language and hushed conversations with his wife. From observing those interactions, I got the impression that might have been his first time back in the water following that incident. It was a bit surreal.

The only thing I found was a rEvo back in November. Bunch of random stuff throughout the year. Pull his profile, see who he has for friends. "No Friends"
All he has available are pictures of his dog. https://www.facebook.com/groups/192208314265926/user/100001629322254

I never knew him in person. No reason I would be blocked, until now.
Sounds like he made most of the stuff in his profile private. It'll show up as no friends if you choose not to allow people to see your friends list.

Defense weighs on on sentencing guidelines

Attachments

• 051124217406.pdf
    244.1 KB · Views: 173
The DOJ replies - short clip below

“Ex. 19. Robotka further testified that the other equipment ordered by Codi Group, including the $12,000 Genesis scooters that would allow for transportation of 500 pounds of equipment underwater, caused him grave concern that the items would not be used for recreational purposes. And then on August 4, 2016, Commerce Special Agent Brent Wagner explained in detail to Voissem how rebreathers and underwater scooters could be used in a terrorist attack on a cruise ship by welding a bomb and they therefore could not be shipped to Libya. See Wagner Trial Testimony Excerpt, attached as Exhibit B.
The defendants tossed aside all the warnings they received about national security concerns and chose profit over country. Indeed, the undersigned is not aware of any case with so flagrant
disregard shown by defendants after receiving so many explicit notices that they would be violating the law by attempting such an export. The undersigned is also not aware of any other export violation case that involved so extensive a cover-up after a federal investigation had started and certainly no other export case in which a key federal witness was threatened with his life for cooperating. That alone should militate against a downward departure. The Sevilla case also noted that the defendant has no prior criminal history. Here Sotis previously committed a violent crime, a Hobbs Act robbery of a jewelry store at gunpoint for which he was sentenced to nearly three years in federal prison. Although the case occurred 30 years ago, when Sotis was 27 years old, and therefore does not count for criminal history points, it still should be a factor that cuts against a variance or departure for him. And Voissem’s prior law enforcement and military experience cuts against a departure for her – she understood more keenly than most the need to protect national security and she actively worked through her deception to the Zaghabs and intentional silence to Special Agent Wagner to enable this illegal export. Indeed, her law enforcement experience was what gave Special Agent Wagner false assurance that Add Helium would follow the law.
To assert that this was a one-off export ignores that, according to trial testimony, <<>>”

Attachments

• 143-main.pdf
    170.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 143-2.pdf
    94.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 143-3.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 98
Apropos of nothing : Sotis currently seems to be defended by two Fort Lauderdale attorneys... Using the addresses in their most recent document filing... the lead council seems to be operating out of a coffee shop workspace with the co-council out of a strip mall. I suspect it is a tough time for attorneys struggling to make a living.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom