Sharm or Quseir/Marsa Alam...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcaqua

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear all,

Living in Europe, the temptation to go diving once more has taken hold of my family, all experienced divers. Our options are for the Easter break in April, and include Sharm, Quseir and Marsa Alam (where we have dived before).

We are looking for a resort that can accommodate non-divers and young children while having access to good diving and (most importantly) a good dive outfit.

Has anyone been in these places recently, are they functioning more or less normally while taking the necessary COVID-related safety measures?

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Best,

Rene Aquarone

I do not have a recommendation, sorry, but i can say that business is back to normal in the meantime.
There should be no issues with availability of equipment, guides, zodiac, day trips, ...
Maybe you can give some further indication of what the non-divers are looking for.

I do not have a recommendation, sorry, but i can say that business is back to normal in the meantime.
There should be no issues with availability of equipment, guides, zodiac, day trips, ...
Maybe you can give some further indication of what the non-divers are looking for.
Thanks for your quick reply!
Happy to read business is returning to normal...
Non-divers would like a nice beach and comfortable resort amenities, (I think!).

Best,

RA

Have you thought of Dahab as destination? Nice and iconic dive spots and a there is a real genuine town the non-divers could enjoy, if they fancy.

Thanks again; have indeed been to Dahab many times in the late nineties and early 00's (did my AOW with Sinai Divers) , when it was building up quickly. I remember the canyon, the bells, and the saddle at the blue hole...Not a bad idea!

Thanks and best,

RA

I can highly recommend the Quseir area (e.g. the Mövenpick resort). IMO the best shore / non-liveaboard diving in Egypt.
Egypt is definitely not fully back to normal (I have been there in the second week of Dec), but it‘s open and you will not miss anything.
Sinai is pretty much off the table (already before Covid) at least from/ for German and Swiss customers. Very few flights are going there.
It can be a bit chilly there in April too.

Has anyone been in these places recently, are they functioning more or less normally while taking the necessary COVID-related safety measures?
I've been in Dahab recently, and life there is 100% normal. The old normal, which seems to be a memory of the past in many places around the world. You will have to show the required paperwork at the airport, but once you arrive in Dahab, it's 100% normal life. No masking, no codes, no questions, simply normal life. Mother Nature takes care of the necessary covid-related safety measures.

If your immune system can't handle that, stay home.

As mentioned by DS79, consider the logistics too. Everything in Siani (Dahab, Sharm, Nuweiba) will be a bit more hassle to get to compared to places that are reachable from Hurghada or Marsa Alam Airports. Don't know what the situation is in France, but direct flights to Sharm from Europe is rare nowadays. You will need to go to Cairo and shift to a domestic flight. Ferry from Hurghada to Sharm hasn't been operating since many years back.

Dear all,

Many thanks for the replies so far.

Flying to Hurghada is indeed probably the best option for the various places we will be flying in from (Switzerland, France, Austria UK and US!).

Hurghada-Quseir is a shorter ride than Hurghada-Marsa Alam, but I take it we can dive the same sites (Elphinstone etc.) from there?

Best,

RA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom