Safe Maximum Boat Capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zorin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I did some searching on here and several other sites, but I'm unable to find the anything related. I'm trying to get a best guess estimate of the maximum capacity of divers (not crew) that I can safely take on a 2004 Albemarle 280 Express (Coast Guard Certified)? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Z

Doesn't it go by so many people or so much weight?,
Always seems like a grey area to me,
Especially on small boats

I know with 3or4 divers on my buddy's bayliner it gets overloaded, but handles it fine. When everyone has extra tanks and a bunch of junk, it adds up fast,

What do you mean by "Coast guard certified?"

I did some searching on here and several other sites, but I'm unable to find the anything related. I'm trying to get a best guess estimate of the maximum capacity of divers (not crew) that I can safely take on a 2004 Albemarle 280 Express (Coast Guard Certified)? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Z

I assume you're asking this from a private recreational standpoint because if you were a licensed Captain you would know.

Your boat has a maximum weight and maximum persons (all persons including crew and yourself) decal on it that provides this information. If the decal is missing you can contact the builder or search an online database based on year, make and model.

For hire captains are an entirely different deal and in the absence of a captains license you would be running an illegal charter by charging anyone to go diving on your boat. Even charging to split gas is considered an illegal charter, though no one follows that law.

It's all about 'Displacement Weight'. Does the boat have a tower and upgraded seating v-berth, etc? So if the CG weight plaque says 9500, then you need to get a scale weight with how ever the boat is rigged. But that boat is a beast and with 2 inboards plus the 260 gallons of just fuel and those weights add up real quick. Typical diver with full gear & steel tanks is 300# plus. times 4-6 people. You'd also have to look at open floor space. If the boat has an 5x5 open area to set up divers, you might be limited to 2up & 2 down with all the gear & tanks everywhere(even though you could take 6}. The other thing is watch that fuel mileage at 1 mile per gallon. You might burn $60 before you even reach the open water and then still have to run 20+ miles each way. Lastly that boat might be under wide-load restrictions(which are brutal in Fla) and you can't trailer on weekends or holidays on highways.

If this is a standard recreational boat, and it sounds like it is a 28' version of one, there should be a placard placed inside the boat that lists the maximum number of passenger or weight, whichever comes first.

Something like this (random one found on the internet, for reference only)

1641689824466.png

If this is a standard recreational boat, and it sounds like it is a 28' version of one, there should be a placard placed inside the boat that lists the maximum number of passenger or weight, whichever comes first.

View attachment 699600

Usually around the helm, mine is by the thottle/shift handle,

View attachment 699600
These are not required on vessels over 20ft (although a 28 footer often has one)

Z
Why don't you ask the manufacturer the weight capacity for that model as it's currently configured?

I stopped reading as soon as I read "My buddy's Bayliner."
😆😆😆
But it sure beats a 10k surface swim,

Actually it not ideal for diving, but is
Super cheap to run, and we are not in an ocean,( great lakes nice days only)

He does have a 4winds but it is a royal pain, take the bayliner any day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom