Question What are Komodo/Raja Ampat diving conditions like in late March / early April?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess you have never booked a trip through @Dom@DiveAdvice . I have. Several times. He gave me a thorough booking, trip preparation info, advice with some best deal, which I would not have gotten otherwise if I book the trip directly from the liveaboard company.
Thank you very much to up-date my list of agent to be avoided

Omicron is indeed very contagious, but if you’re vaccinated, you have much better chance to survive without much ill effect. I have 2 examples that hit home.

Example 1
My nephew works in hospital. Guess what? He contracted it and had a mild cold-like symptom. CDC says 5 days at home from first day with symptoms then 5 days out with mask on. He was asked by the hospital to be back to work after 5 days at home. He lives with his parents (my brother & sister in-law). They never got sick and tested negative. They were all have been fully vaccinated (Moderna) including booster shot.

Example 2
I ride bicycle about 100 miles / week with my cycling buddies. Two of my cycling buddies (husband and wife) contracted Omicron without symptoms. They were cycling apart from the group for 2 weeks to insure that they won’t spread it to us. We are all have been fully vaccinated, including booster shot.

Knock on wood, I haven’t contracted it. I have been fully vaccinated with Moderna and Pfizer booster shot. I have been on 10 liveaboard trips, 1 dive resort and 1 ski resort in the last 12 months. Got negative Covid test 17 times. Statistically and inevitably, one of these days, I would contract it, but it’s comforting to know that Omicron is just like a mild flu and I would survive it since I have been fully vaccinated.

Thank you very much to up-date my list of agent to be avoided
LOL. Fully expect you will say something like that. Whatever I say you do the opposite. Enjoy being cooped up at home.

Knock on wood, I haven’t contracted it. I have been fully vaccinated with Moderna and Pfizer booster shot. I have been on 10 liveaboard trips, 1 dive resort and 1 ski resort in the last 12 months. Got negative Covid test 17 times. Statistically and inevitably, one of these days, I would contract it, but it’s comforting to know that Omicron is just like a mild flu and I would survive it since I have been fully vaccinated.

Good grief man, do you even remember how to get home? That's a lot of traveling. Good for you. I've been to Brazil, Panama, and Columbia fishing as well as dive drips to the Sea of Cortez in the past year. Had several dive trips moved from last year to this year. I hope to get them in this time. Supposed to go to Komodo in late June but I'm not feeling overly optimistic about going. I hope I'm wrong.

Good grief man, do you even remember how to get home? That's a lot of traveling. Good for you. I've been to Brazil, Panama, and Columbia fishing as well as dive drips to the Sea of Cortez in the past year. Had several dive trips moved from last year to this year. I hope to get them in this time. Supposed to go to Komodo in late June but I'm not feeling overly optimistic about going. I hope I'm wrong.
I retired in August 2020, so everyday is a vacation day. 😜

Welcome to the new normal, traveling during the pandemic, rescheduling trips club! Same deal with me as far as some last year trips being rescheduled to this year or later.
1. Cocos Sep 2020 -> 2021 -> 2022
2. French Polynesia May 2020 -> ?
3. Sangalaki Aug 2021 -> 2022
4. Raja Ampat Feb 2022 -> 2024

Ya, I hope you are wrong. Your chance to go to Komodo in June is becoming more likely to happen, I bet. Hopefully we’ll bump to each other in one of these days.

My 2022 dive trip schedule, so far:
Feb-Thailand (Phuket, Surin & Similan)
Mar-Bahamas (Tiger Beach & Bimini)
Jun- Cozumel
Aug- Indonesia (Sangalaki)
Sep- Costa Rica (Cocos)
Nov-Indonesia (Ring of Fire)

LOL. Fully expect you will say something like that. Whatever I say you do the opposite. Enjoy being cooped up at home.
Two names came to my mind!
Are you sure I am at home rather than some where else! I never need to advertise my service in a public forum.
LOL.

Crossing all toes and fingers for June too... we have had sooo many Indo trips cancelled that I am not sure I will be alive long enough to re-coup the trips. We have a back to back planned in June as well but I am less confident than Dan that it will happen. So praying to all the Gods that we get to go to Indo in June!!!

I can visit the Kingdom without too much of restriction from 1st Nov, one night at an SHA hotel and wait for the result of the PCR test, and then FREE(-ve result) to travel nearly everywhere.
But I will require to pay for 3 wks of quarantine when I return to HK after the trip!!!!!!! Absolutely ridiculous.
What is the point of having full vaccination?
Are you sure I am at home rather than some where else! I never need to advertise my service in a public forum.
You did 👆

In
Omicron is indeed very contagious, but if you’re vaccinated, you have much better chance to survive without much ill effect. I have 2 examples that hit home.

Example 1
My nephew works in hospital. Guess what? He contracted it and had a mild cold-like symptom. CDC says 5 days at home from first day with symptoms then 5 days out with mask on. He was asked by the hospital to be back to work after 5 days at home. He lives with his parents (my brother & sister in-law). They never got sick and tested negative. They were all have been fully vaccinated (Moderna) including booster shot.

Example 2
I ride bicycle about 100 miles / week with my cycling buddies. Two of my cycling buddies (husband and wife) contracted Omicron without symptoms. They were cycling apart from the group for 2 weeks to insure that they won’t spread it to us. We are all have been fully vaccinated, including booster shot.

Knock on wood, I haven’t contracted it. I have been fully vaccinated with Moderna and Pfizer booster shot. I have been on 10 liveaboard trips, 1 dive resort and 1 ski resort in the last 12 months. Got negative Covid test 17 times. Statistically and inevitably, one of these days, I would contract it, but it’s comforting to know that Omicron is just like a mild flu and I would survive it since I have been fully vaccina

Example 1

Example 2

Here in Indonesia only 45% of the population is inoculated twice. Mostly with Sinovac, which seems to offer not much (if any) protection against Omicron. For you personally it might be true it would cause only a mild flu, but even that can ruin your dive trip. Nobody knows what Omicron will bring Indonesia the coming months. 67% of the adult men in Indonesia smoke, and TBC still kills 200 people each day here in Indonesia. But, now everybody wants to believe "oh, it is just a little flu" . Well, it is not. And we do not have much reason to assume that a new variant will not pop again. I mention these facts because it might be smart to take the into consideration in your planning for this year.

@Dan That's correct. I have not used Dom's services, and I'm glad to hear that it was positive given how much traveling you do and can compare it to but that situation wasn't my point.

My point was about the info given when I'm not paying him and the inherent conflict his stated position could create. My purpose wasn't to dog him but to feedback as a potential customer. I've appreciated his comments in the past so I'd prefer he not have that position which is why I bothered to feedback. I won't belabor that point further.

I don't agree with your characterization of Omicron being minor and "just the flu". Yeah, we know people who have passed through Covid relatively easily but Covid also killed the really nice lady two houses down really quickly and a couple other people we know. And actually "the flu" is another misconception people have because what people get is a common cold, not actually the flu. The flu kills people too. The wife actually had the flu once and the difference vs a cold was very clear.

I don't expect people to stay in a hole in the ground forever but I'd like people to limit exposure so we can get out of this before it actually is really bad. If this was localized to some place it would be different, but it's world wide. Nuff said. Safe travels to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom