Dip Tube Variances

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried M6 x 1mm and it engages about one turn and stops...seems M6 diameter is correct, but the thread pitch of 1mm is not...

X1.5 then...

Figure out what you have....there's even a free app for it, Thread Pitch. Very accurate. It's been a time saver for me, especially when I ran CNC.

I got a chance to look at an old SP valve dip tube this morning. It does have an odd thread. Measuring, it's diameter and checking the threads with a pitch gauge, I come up with 1/4- 48, had to put it under a good bit of magnification to see the threads. A quick check and found "Drills and Cutters" has taps and dies for around $12 USD.

Probably M6 x 0,75

I got a chance to look at an old SP valve dip tube this morning. It does have an odd thread. Measuring, it's diameter and checking the threads with a pitch gauge, I come up with 1/4- 48, had to put it under a good bit of magnification to see the threads. A quick check and found "Drills and Cutters" has taps and dies for around $12 USD.
Slightly butchery but with the right size tap you might be able to run over the threads from a normal dip tube, to make what you needs or keep threading and cut off the multi thread part, ( it will help you start square,..)

I have a hard time believing 48 TPI. That is super fine threads. It is almost as if you were counting tips and roots and not just tips.

Not counting anything, I have a small machine shop and do this kind of thing all the time. I used thread pitch gauges under high magnification to check them, no guess work involved. Double checked with a metric gauge, not metric. Obviously I can't say for sure what the OP has but there is no doubt what the threads on the SP valve I have are. They are the correct diameter for 1/4 (measured with a micrometer) and the threads are definitely 48 tpi as measured by a thread pitch gauge, hard to conclude they are anything other then 1/4-48.

Not counting anything, I have a small machine shop and do this kind of thing all the time. I used thread pitch gauges under high magnification to check them, no guess work involved. Double checked with a metric gauge, not metric. Obviously I can't say for sure what the OP has but there is no doubt what the threads on the SP valve I have are. They are the correct diameter for 1/4 (measured with a micrometer) and the threads are definitely 48 tpi as measured by a thread pitch gauge, hard to conclude they are anything other then 1/4-48.
Thanks, Herman!

Ya gotta love Scubapro!
Right up there with splined hose nuts...
:banghead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom