Are reef hooks allowed in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always assumed reef hooks were used for two reasons:

To remain stationary in heavy current while stuff swims past you (Maldives)
To not get sucked into a current and pulled out into the open ocean open at 20 knots (Indonesia)

I would just say enjoy the drift dives and let mother nature do all the work for you.

That is true! I had assumed reef hooks were used during group dives and everyone had to use one to stay together but perhaps I am wrong. Thanks for your perspective- I certainly don't mean to start controversy!
Reef Hooks are common in Indonesia, but not elsewhere, in my experience. And never in Marine Parks.
Practicing on a wreck off the East Coast seems reasonable. It doesn't take a lot of practice! DSMB deployment is more difficult, and should be practiced. No problem doing that in Cozumel.

I can confirm that in some dive sites in Indonesia (eg the famous Blue Magic in Raja Ampat) reef hooks are used when the current is strong and mantas are circling around. If the current is not strong hooks are not needed/used (but also usually there is no mantas) and if there is current but no mantas the guides bring the group behind the pinnacle (hence protected from the current).
If you have good buoyancy control and trim there is not much extra effort to use the hook. You just find a strong rock or dead corral and hook to it. The guides usually go around and help divers (especially inexperienced ones) get hooked to good spots.
Keep in mind that in this kind of dives hooks are not optional. If you want to stay with the group you need to use one as current can bring you FAR away in the open sea in a matter of minutes. We had an instructor once who refused to use a hook and she had to hold with her hands rocks/corrals/whatever for 45 minutes fighting STRONG current. It was not pleasant for her at all and for sure she did more damage to the reef than by using a hook. Next dive she brought one.

DSMB deployment is more difficult, and should be practiced. No problem doing that in Cozumel.
Definitely planning on it! Thanks for the info!

Keep in mind that in this kind of dives hooks are not optional. If you want to stay with the group you need to use one as current can bring you FAR away in the open sea in a matter of minutes.
Thanks for the info! Being swept into sea is what I'm trying to avoid so that's why I wanted to practice when the stakes were lower.

The purpose of a reef hook, at least in my experience, is to keep you in one place while you watch the sea life go by. It only makes sense if there is sea life going by. In some parts of the world, there is a constant parade of sharks and other such large fish swimming in the current, like a parade. Divers hook into the reef and hover in the current while they watch the show.

There are few places in the world where that makes sense.

It does not take a lot of skill.

There are sites where if you don't hook in you can't hold position and will be swept away. The Blue Corner in Palau comes to mind. It isn't rocket surgery, though, and they will be discussed in your dive briefings when the time comes. You won't be deploying an SMB while you're hooked in, and doing it while drifting is no different than if you're stationary.

The Blue Corner in Palau!
If you arrive late you will only see the back side of many divers and bubbles!!

They are not permitted, but I carry one in my BCD pocket for emergency situations where the current may be a threat to my life.

It does not take a lot of skill.
You have to know (1) where to hook (2) how to react if it is undone (3) the length of the line.
I cannot remember other tragedy with reef hook other than that poor diver in Palau.

You have to know (1) where to hook (2) how to react if it is undone (3) the length of the line.
Yeah these "minor" details are my concern. Also, I just don't want to learn/attempt a new skill for the first time on my expensive liveaboard trip. I know people are saying it doesn't take much skill but I see no reason not try to practice it in potentially calmer current before I go if I can.

You won't be deploying an SMB while you're hooked in, and doing it while drifting is no different than if you're stationary.
Oh I know- I meant the reef hook and SMB deployment as two separate skills. As a new-ish diver that mostly dives in the Caribbean with a guide I have had almost no experience deploying an SMB and, again, would rather be comfortable doing it if the need arises.

Back
Top Bottom