Scammers hitting dive shops for fraudulent Shearwater/Garmin computer purchases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One dive shop owner’s post indicated that when they contacted Shearwater, they found out Shearwater had been aware of this crime ring for a while and did nothing to notify their dealers.
It’s unfortunate tat they don’t get involved, whenever you use their logging app the serial number (shearwater) is down loaded and with the cloud service it hits their site.

Could someone copy this information and paste it here as text? Hopefully it can help prevent these thieves from selling them on ScubaBoard.

1641572973906.png

@Akimbo

Can you sticky this thread at the top of the computer classified subforum?

@Akimbo

Can you sticky this thread at the top of the computer classified subforum?

That is an interesting idea but I'm thinking of a longer term solution. What do you think of creating a sticky for serial numbers of all stolen and lost products? We then advise sellers to include SNs and buyers to request them before purchasing.

Moderators could add them to the OP as replies pile up. This isn't fully thought out so please poke holes so we optimize the approach.

That is an interesting idea but I'm thinking of a longer term solution. What do you think of creating a sticky for serial numbers of all stolen and lost products? We then advise sellers include SNs and buyers request them before purchasing.

Moderators could add them to the OP as replies pile up. This isn't fully thought out so please poke holes so we optimize the approach.

That’s a good idea. We could do both!

That is an interesting idea but I'm thinking of a longer term solution. What do you think of creating a sticky for serial numbers of all stolen and lost products? We then advise sellers to include SNs and buyers to request them before purchasing.

And if a stolen one pops up report it to law enforcement.

Could someone copy this information and paste it here as text? Hopefully it can help prevent these thieves from selling them on ScubaBoard.

Mac OS Monterey can do that!
-------------------------------------
Shearwater Perdix #2062F829
Shearwater Teric Black #70AEC420
Shearwater Perdix #33409A09
Shearwater Perdix Al #33409A7E
Shearwater Teric Black/Silver #2EA388B8
Shearwater Teric Black/Blue #60445B44
Shearwater Transmitter #250880
Shearwater Transmitter #221628
Shearwater Transmitter #249444
Garmin Descent #5WJ000545
Garmin T1 transmitter #5QW015243
Garmin Descent #5 Wj000543
Garmin T1 transmitter #5QW015252
Garmin Descent MK2S #6K4000501
Garmin Descent MK2S #6K7004169
Garmin T1 transmitter #5QW0137622
Descent Mk2i Titanium #5WH005963

Shearwater has a database of stolen serial numbers so people who are suspicious about a purchase off SB, ebay, or FB Marketplace should contact Shearwater.

There are other things about this situation that would have raised a big red flag and made me extremely suspicious, but it’s considered politically incorrect these days to mention such things. That’s for the in-person fraud attempts.
I read through the thread and saw where in the WI shop the potential buyer had an ID that matched the Credit Card. I am interested in hearing these politically incorrect red flags.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom