Scammers hitting dive shops for fraudulent Shearwater/Garmin computer purchases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why aren’t the merchants using 3D Secure? This reverses liability and puts the onus on the card providers to challenge the transaction, possibly using two factor authentication.

In Europe 3DS — known as Strong Customer Authentication— is mandatory for all online card transactions.
The US is not Europe, and neither is the UK. If we all had the same sensibilities then we’d be part of the Commonwealth games.

Did it match him?

I'm kind of sensitive to this because someone stole my wife's pocketbook 2 years ago. They immediately bought a bunch of $1000 gift certificates at different department stores and none of them bothered to check anything. AMEX flagged it and notified me after a few transactions and I was able to get everything stopped.

But a few weeks later, the thief walked into a branch of our back and withdrew $5000 in cash. She didn't have the account number, nor look anything like my wife, she just handed over the driver's license and the teller looked it up and handed over the money. The bank stalled for a long time in returning the money, claiming that they couldn't be sure my wife hadn't actually taken it. Thankfully, a CPD detective demanded that a manager watch the security tape with him and the person so obviously did not match the photo and description on the DL that they gave up and refunded us.

I’m told the fake DL did have a photo that matched the scammer.

Please let your local shop aware of this if they sell Shearwater or Garmin. Link them to this post or the DC shop post on FB.

I had one of my cards stolen a couple years ago. This cost society a lot of money. Anyone who doesn't or hasn't worked in the CJ system would be shocked on the cost.

The worst part when I reported it to the police they admitted they don't investigate it anymore.

an honest question. I had thought that when a card is present in the store (a CP purchase) and the purchase was made with ID verification and chip enabled credit card scanning that the merchant was released from liability and the liability then belonged to the credit card company? I understood that card not present purchases (internet/phone) or when a non-chip purchase was made that the merchant could bear responsibility for the loss.

Interesting, in dealing with our LDS, it is my impression that most of their customers are 'regulars,' and just having some rando walk in off the street to buy a Teric (especially multiple Terics) would in itself be unusual, and reason for some circumspection.

I’ve referred some people I know to very small shops. I always tell the person to make sure to tell the shop I referred them. I might even contact the shop myself and tell them I referred so and so.

I’ve also wondered about where the people get the computers who post multiple brand new, never used computers for sale. Always seemed slightly fishy.

As stupid as it sounds, both Visa and Mastercard have policies in place that prevent merchants from declining a sale if an ID isn't shown. They can ask to see an ID, but they cannot decline/refuse a sale based on not having an ID as long as the back of the card is signed. For that reason I never sign the backs of my cards, not sure if it would help if I were ever to lose the card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom