How is the "Port is closed" communicated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If there's a flag, an online webcam pointed at it would answer many inquiries. I'm surprised no one has addressed the need.
Operators have addressed it numerous times with port captain over the past several years. As one of the founding members for the revived watersports association I know this to be fact because we tried but it seems to be too complicated for them.

@fishwatcher - for Cozumel, there is no clear way for divers to obtain this information unless it is just obvious that the conditions are not safe - unfortunately, there have been many times the port is closed when the conditions are ideal - an operator providing the courtesy of a call to their divers or some sort of system they can check is totally reasonable and is basic customer service.

I was talking about a private webcam, since the official approach has not gained traction. A cheap telescope with line of sight to the flag. A student project could even write a program to analyze the images and periodically update the web page of a dive operator. Increased traffic for them, status for the masses. Win-win.

Thanks for the detailed response gopbroek. One would hope the Port Captains office would join the 21st century and put it on their website. They must have some grundoon in the office to do that.
I live in Cozumel (10 years now). It has nothing to do with being in the 21st century. lol The fact is the weather just changes too quickly here and that would be a waste of time and present a possibility of miscommunication to visitors. Best way is to stay in touch with your dive op. If you don't use whatsapp then at least download it to your phone for your trip. It is the preferred method of communication here and your dive op can message you immediately with updates. Why post on a web site when you can get updates immediately through messaging?

True, but I still think there must be a better way. The fact that the weather changes quickly even further supports the need for automation. How do the dive OPs find out about port closures? By calling the port captain? If so, then the captain has to field many calls on any given windy morning. Then more calls when the weather changes. Then the dive OPs have to message and re-message their customers.

This may be a dumb question, but are cruise ships impacted by port closures? Maybe not due to their size, but think of the support personnel and businesses that would need to know port status every morning.

Port closures are announced on the marine radio, in private whatsapp groups and of course the flag outside the office.

A need for a better way? The boat captains aren't surfing the net in the morning - they are cleaning and prepping the boats with the marine radios on. The office staffs that are on the whatsapp group get the message right away. Sometimes folks camp at the flag pole and pictures of the flag are quickly pass around thru whatsapp groups. Sometimes the decision is delayed 10 or 20 minutes and people will call the office but the decision will be announced, patience......

Oh I suppose an internet page would be great but it's just another method - everyone sitting around on their phones and in the office refreshing their screens or just simply listen to the marine radio in the background????

Cruise ships and ferries are not generally effected by port closures - the ferries will stop running on their own when they have trouble docking. Again, the immediate people effected are all working within earshot of a marine radio.....

If you want to be the first to know while in the line at the buffet in the morning, bring a marine radio with you and listen to channel 16.............

Back
Top Bottom