Trip Report Roatan Aggressor - Nov. 27 to Dec. 4, 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband and I flew from Dallas, Texas to Roatan on a direct flight on Saturday, November 27, 2021 with American Airlines.

Lucky you... We're from DFW also. We ended up having to overnight in Miami on the Friday, then head into Roatan the following day. No big deal as I have familia in Miami and we went out to dinner on SW 8th at La Careta.

I was a little disappointed in getting yanked off los cayos early because 'the conditions were too rough' and the fact that they said we couldnt do Utila.

Still I had a great time. Always good to hear from fellow Texan Divers

Looking at this trip for June- torn between a return to Coz or the Roatan Aggressor.

I like that I can get 27 dives in a week. I love liveaboard diving for the ease of use.

I am concerned with flights- with all of these cancellations lately, I do not want to miss the boat.

Any thoughts from those with experience Roatan vs Coz? Obviously Coz would be cheaper, but Roatan would be new destination for me.

Thanks in advance-

I am going on the Roatan Aggressor this Saturday (1/22) and am beginning to be concerned about flight cancellations as well- I had planned on flying that day. Do any of you have experience or information about what happens if you miss the boat? Somehow I remember reading about the dives being so close to shore that they have come back to get people-though I do not want to count on that. Thanks!

I'd recommend Turks and Caicos instead. I wasn't impressed with the diving at Roatan this summer, very few larger critters except for one baited shark dive. You would have your choice between Aggressor and Caribbean Explorer boats there.

I missed my Sat flight to Roatan due to an AA screw up, so the boat picked me and another late diver up on Sunday, no problem. Just give them a call on Sat if you're going to be late. The chef on the boat was indeed great, but there were a couple of quirky operational things that irritated me a little.

@bethie please post a report when you return! I would suggest contacting Aggressor to confirm the procedure for a missed boat. I am sure it is a big concern right now for everyone.

@rongoodman thanks, I have done the T & C Aggressor, and I enjoyed it. I have heard similar information to what you shared regarding the Roatan diving. I appreciate your response.

Somehow I remember reading about the dives being so close to shore that they have come back to get people-though I do not want to count on that. Thanks!
I know in the event of hurricanes, they are never too far to go back to port.

However, what I do not know is picking up guests after missing the boat. On other boats like in Egypt, they checked everyones passports and other info prior to departure and 'cleared the boat' to travel.

Great photos and great report. Looking to do just such a trip, and this is very helpful. -John

Any thoughts from those with experience Roatan vs Coz? Obviously Coz would be cheaper, but Roatan would be new destination for me.
The drift diving makes Cozumel a much different experience from Roatan. My dives were all out of CocoView Resort, but I've not heard of Roatan being described as a drift diving destination. I did see more 'big stuff' in Cozumel (though I saw a goliath grouper in Roatan in a cleft on Newman's Wall).

I like that I can get 27 dives in a week.
On some live-aboards, doable under optimal conditions. Harder in Cozumel. I really enjoyed diving with Tres Pelicanos, and the overall 'workflow' was good; I'd like to go back. That said, when I got back to my room at Casa Mexicana after 4 dives/day, I was wiped out. You can get a lot of dives in, and I did, but it wore me down more than live-aboard diving (where frequent dozing on a lounger between dives is easy).

Minor quibble - in Cozumel with 3P's, we surfaced and got to the side of the boat, took off our BCDs and handed them and our fins up to crew, IIRC. On a live-aboard, take fins off at ladder (maybe assisted?), then climb out and a crewman helped walk me to my gear station. Bottom line, it's easier, less hassle.

...but Roatan would be new destination for me.
That might be the swing vote. Knocking one off the bucket list.

Ironically, that's part of why I chose CocoView Resort over the Roatan Aggressor IV; I've dove 3 Caribbean region Aggressor Fleet boats (Belize, Caymans, Turks & Caicos) with very good experiences and was confident I'd get one here, too. But CCV is held out as a unique experience, one I'd never done. I wanted to add that to my experiences.

Barring some personal or global disaster, I imagine Cozumel will still be there after you get back from your trip, and hopefully you'll be blessed to return in the future. Roatan is a new adventure for you.

I just spoke to Aggressor and the agent assured me that the boat or the skiff will come back if you miss it. Great news! I am only now bothered by the fact that if fully vaccinated, Honduras (nor Aggressor) does not require a test. I know so many people who have gotten covid that are vaccinated and boosted.
I will post a trip report.
I also want to add that I was just on the Turks and Caicos Explorer and was not really impressed with the diving or the operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom