Shark Feeding Dives...Yes or No

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dived Deep Ledge, Lemon Drop, and the Wreck Trek/Esso Bonaire many times out of Jupiter. Though these are not baited/feeding dives, I don't pretend that many of the sharks I see are not a result of baiting/feeding at those same sites.

Bingo. I'm not a partaker of the baited dives BUT I'm also not naïve enough to think that I don't benefit from them when diving these Jupiter sites.

I am not totally against them but I also think that like so many things, there is a time and a place.

As an example, the shark feeding dive conducted from the Aquacat has all of the divers sitting on the bottom while a "chumsicle" is brought down on a rope. There is about 30 feet between the shark and the divers, so I think that there is less of a chance of the sharks associating the divers with the food as there is no reason for the sharks to go anywhere near the divers.

Another example would be going to see Great Whites at Isla Guadalupe. If the boat operator didn't chum, then seeing a Great White would be highly unlikely and pretty much the "luck of the draw". If I spend several thousands of dollars for a trip to Isla Guadalupe and did not see a single Great White, I would be very vocal about my disappointment.

On the other hand, diving in TCI with Reef sharks on almost every dive or in the Socorro Islands with their abundant shark life and multiple species were also experiences I will never forget.

Aquacat 2013-113.jpg
IMG_3853 copy.jpg

Gee John...a little grumpy today?

Look at how many views this thread has and that is FANTASTIC for us in Jupiter. The more views means the higher up on the Google results page for brand new people that never knew there were shark dives so close to warm, economical, and no covid testing. Baited or natural doesn't matter as long as the local shops are profitable with plenty of boats I can dive off of. This puts paying customers on Jupiter dive boats and that's good !!

For example, Rainbow Reef just had a record setting holiday week in a small part because of Capt. Bob's trash talking thread with thousands of views and headed into it's 3rd year on top of the board. As we get to the slow, blown-out April month and people are planning their summer vacation dollars, I will bump your thread to the top so it translates over to google searches and people book their summer dive vacations. Everyone knows, ANY free advertising is GOOD advertising. Come Dive Jupiter and See the Lemon, Bull, & Tiger Sharks !!

Look at how many views this thread has and that is FANTASTIC for us in Jupiter. The more views means the higher up on the Google results page for brand new people that never knew there were shark dives so close to warm, economical, and no covid testing. Baited or natural doesn't matter as long as the local shops are profitable with plenty of boats I can dive off of. This puts paying customers on Jupiter dive boats and that's good !!

For example, Rainbow Reef just had a record setting holiday week in a small part because of Capt. Bob's trash talking thread with thousands of views and headed into it's 3rd year on top of the board. As we get to the slow, blown-out April month and people are planning their summer vacation dollars, I will bump your thread to the top so it translates over to google searches and people book their summer dive vacations. Everyone knows, ANY free advertising is GOOD advertising. Come Dive Jupiter and See the Lemon, Bull, & Tiger Sharks !!
If more divers in Jupiter is the goal, it seems to me that it would be good if more people generally understood how blue and clear the water was, and how many critters there are to see even without baiting. It's not something that is obvious to those of us outside of the area. But only after research and a trip do we now know there is Caribbean-quality diving within weekend driving distance (though it was quite a marathon drive for a weekend trip for us, it was still worth it).

Sharks on the reefs in Palm Beach County have become less wary of divers. I'm writing specifically about the Bulls and Sandbars (Two species that used to be fairly elusive} Now it is not uncommon to have them become, while not aggressive, much too comfortable around divers. I can't help but think an attack on a Palm Beach County diver is only a matter of time.

Sharks on the reefs in Palm Beach County have become less wary of divers. I'm writing specifically about the Bulls and Sandbars (Two species that used to be fairly elusive} Now it is not uncommon to have them become, while not aggressive, much too comfortable around divers. I can't help but think an attack on a Palm Beach County diver is only a matter of time.
It's cute that you worry about sandbars. As for the bulls, Palm Beach County divers getting bitten by them is nothing new ... funnily enough though, it typically involves shooting fish. I'll do baited dives with them, but I'll pass on popping cobia off their tails.
If more divers in Jupiter is the goal, it seems to me that it would be good if more people generally understood how blue and clear the water was, and how many critters there are to see even without baiting. It's not something that is obvious to those of us outside of the area. But only after research and a trip do we now know there is Caribbean-quality diving within weekend driving distance (though it was quite a marathon drive for a weekend trip for us, it was still worth it).
It's more that there aren't a lot of places where big critter sightings are a common occurrence. I've turned my nose up at most Florida Keys reef diving for about the last decade because it pales in comparison to Jupiter on that score. Think of how things are on land; we don't see a lot of large terrestrial wild animals roaming near most areas where humans live. Folks will travel to Yellowstone or the Serengeti for that experience. Likewise in the ocean you have distant "pristine" spots like the Galapagos, Socorro, or Guadalupe Island that have that status, but Jupiter brings some of that magic within much easier reach.

I vote no. If you want to dive with sharks without feeding them go dive the wrecks in NC where the Sand Tigers hangout. You'll also see other sharks including a bull shark sometimes. You can swim with inside the wrecks and get up close and personal with them, or you can swim in a circle around the wreck with them.

I don't understand why feeding is even necessary, sound is usually enough to bring sharks in if any are around. Seems to me sound is cheaper, cleaner and doesn't stink.

Can any shark experts explain why baiting/feeding is better than sound for attracting sharks?

...Can any shark experts explain why baiting/feeding is better than sound for attracting sharks?
@Dan and I dived in Malpelo last July with Sten Johansson. Sten made a variety of noises with a plastic water bottle and the Galapagos Sharks would often show up soon thereafter, often in large numbers :)

@Dan and I dived in Malpelo last July with Sten Johansson. Sten made a variety of noises with a plastic water bottle and the Galapagos Sharks would often show up soon thereafter, often in large numbers :)
That's the most primitive why of making sounds, and it seems to work very well. I'd bet there are electronic methods that would prove to be even better.

I'd bet there are electronic methods that would prove to be even better.
Just my 2 cents since I'm a spearo. It's a 2 step process for sharks.

#1.....Did I hear something,,,I'm gonna have a look (ie- The Dinner Bell)
#2... I See Food (that's not hidden in a container). Now how do I get it.
I know there's Myth Busters about a drop of blood per mile, but in years of harvesting it's never been a factor. YMMV.

I have regularly dragged my fish bag with 'non-wigglng' dead fish directly over sleeping ledge sharks and they didn't budge an inch.

I've also used the bands/wood tap method on bulls to investigate for Cobia opportunities, but they leave immediately when they don't "see" the food. Tigers are exactly the same way,,,,no dinner > guest's leave. Reefies are just teenage wanna be gangsters and will circle until you leave their 'hood' even with no tapping or food. Hammer's are like women and I can't figure out how to get them to stick around even with treats. Lemon's are moody and just depends if they are chill or have an attitude that day.

I'll regularly shoot a fish and then instead of carrying it with me (ie shark 'sees' food) I elevator it to the surface right away for the Captain to pick it up. I may see sharks later but they'll just pass by and not stick around. Lionfish harvest are unusual. Sometimes sharks are interested and sometimes they just leave even if I'm carrying a dozen. Lobster harvests have ZERO effect on sharks-they could care less.

One additional discussion I've had with plenty of pro photographers is their Strobe lights. They all agree strobe re-cycling brings sharks closer. A couple of them suggest on our deep ledge drifts that they will re-cycle their strobes a couple of times if no sharks are visible just to bring them in (like the plastic bottle trick). But opinions vary and those guys try to save battery life.

Again, just my 2 cents and 'food for thought'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom