Transfill whip: with or without gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm shopping for a transfill whip. I'll mainly use it to fill an AL6 bottle for my drysuit. I usually use argon, but if I run low I'd like to top it off with my backgas.

A comment on the deluxe fill whip from Dive Right In Scuba mentioned that the analog gauge was kind of a pain. The commentor thought it isn't necessary and is actually a pain to travel with. Click Reviews here to see the comment: Deluxe Tank Fill Whip

So what's a good fill whip?

I'm shopping for a transfill whip. I'll mainly use it to fill an AL6 bottle for my drysuit. I usually use argon, but if I run low I'd like to top it off with my backgas.

A comment on the deluxe fill whip from Dive Right In Scuba mentioned that the analog gauge was kind of a pain. The commentor thought it isn't necessary and is actually a pain to travel with. Click Reviews here to see the comment: Deluxe Tank Fill Whip

So what's a good fill whip?
If you are only going to fill a 6 cuft tank, a gauge isn't really necessary. For filling between large tanks it's really handy, otherwise you are constantly disconnecting and using a separate gauge or your reg set either an SPG.
Take a look at what Piranha offers.

I've owned my transfill whip since I purchased it new in the early 1990's (from NESS, IIRC). It is a very simple whip, with yoke connectors on both ends and no pressure gauge, and it lives in my gear bag.

Every time I use it I wish I had purchased the (at that time slightly more expensive) one that had 300 Br DIN connectors on both ends and a pressure gauge.

(But, I'm too cheap to replace it.)

FWIW,

rx7diver

I like the gauge and often use it. In fact, I prefer my whip with the gauge to mine without. The gauge allows you to see how much is in each bottle and choose how much or little to take from one and how much you are putting in the other.

I like having a gauge for when I transfer O2 or air to my 3L rebreather bottles. Sure I could do without and measure pressure separately, but I'd rather not. I'm lazy.

A good gauge becomes critical if you start mixing gases (nitrox, trimix). If that is in your future, you may want to consider it.

first off
don't bother with argon, it's essentially useless for what we do, just use gas out of your normal tanks
Gauge is useful, if you fly with it then it may be a bit big, but how often are you flying?

Either way, buy this whip. Has a gauge, but those DIN blocks use a HP port plug *same as your regulator*, so if you want to take it off to travel, just put a port plug back which takes 30 seconds since there is no teflon tape involved like with NPT

Another vote for a guage. Can't recommend a whip, I just use the hose off the booster when I need a simple whip.

What are you using for backgas? Any Helium in it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom