German tanks in US….DOT cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The full description of DIN scuba connections & yoke scuba connections are defined by an ISO standard - https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso:12209:ed-1:v1:en:sec:A

Unfortunately, they do not seem to publicly publish the specifications, but rather want you to buy a copy of the standard.

I have a copy in PDF format, but if I publish it, I will probably be in violation of copyright, so I'm not going to do that.

I will confirm that the thread inside a DIN valve is 5/8 British Pipe type G. The 200 & 300 bar versions have different thread depths & there is a 13mm diameter counterore at the bottom of the female 232 bar version fitting that acts as a reject feature to prevent inserting low pressure equipment into a high pressure supply.

The ISO standard number for "Outlet connections for gas cylinder valves for compressed breathable air "
is # 12209. I got my copy from the Swedish Institute for Standards, but I can't seem to get back in there now to link their page.

Fortunately, the 5/8"G British pipe specs are published in the public domain -

As for the DOT rules, I seem to recall that they regulate what cylinders can be transported on US roads. I seem to recall that technically, if a scuba tank lived on a boat & never traveled on a road, then the DOT had no jurisdiction over it. That being said, I would not recommend blowing off the standard 5 year hydro test, just because you can get away with it on a legal technicality. The laws of physics remain the same.

Some here said that if the tanks were not legally certified in the US then a commercial shop could not fill them, but an individual could. I do not believe that is correct. An individual may get away with filling them because nobody is there to see him & therefore he does not get caught, but I do not believe it is legal for him to fill them.

I have some DOT cylinders that were once hydro'd in Spain. Most shops here would not fill them until I got a current US hydro test, which they now have. They are now US legal once again.

I do know of some shops in my area that I expect would likely fill foreign tanks if they were up to date on their foreign inspections. Most shops I know would not do that.

Some here said that if the tanks were not legally certified in the US then a commercial shop could not fill them, but an individual could. I do not believe that is correct.

DOT regulations apply to commercial use of cylenders to prevent transport and workplace accidents. What you do in your garage is not under their jurisdiction.

In Germany anything above 21% is m26, per law.
But no one follows it. Even for O2 stages m25 is used.

Thats just whats used and no one is going to change it. With m26 its there might be problems to get a fill,because some fill stations have no adapter.

I dont know, if the m26 is really necessary from a physical view. But i am interested to learn more.
I dont know of any accident, that was because of a m25 on a deco stage.

Does this mean that in Germany the requirement is for every scuba cylinder to be M26? The logical conclusion as all backgas tanks may be filled with nitrox, same with all stage cylinders. Probably suit inflation cylinders are the only exception, but in order to be filled it may as well be M26.

Stupid trade standards eh!

Which is why M26 is ignored almost everywhere.

Does this mean that in Germany the requirement is for every scuba cylinder to be M26? The logical conclusion as all backgas tanks may be filled with nitrox, same with all stage cylinders. Probably suit inflation cylinders are the only exception, but in order to be filled it may as well be M26.

Stupid trade standards eh!

Which is why M26 is ignored almost everywhere.
Yes all stages and every backgas which is not exclusively air has to be m26.

I rarely see anyone with m26..

It appears that France has more compliance with the M26 standard but ignored everywhere else.
they made it up and forced it down everyone else's throat so to be expected.

If anything, the European certs are more stringent than US.

What are the specifics on how Euro certs are more stringent than US certs? I'm a little surprised as I'm under the impression that Europe does not require burst disks or annual visual inspections. To me this implies that standards are generally easier in Europe. I realize you are probably talking about hydro though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom