Is a Computer essential kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a computer is absolutely essential kit, how else would you access scubaboard??
That would be just the ticket for those long stops. Can I unlock that feature on my Perdix somehow?

Not sure if OP was asking in general or for the 4 upcoming dives.

I think if you intend to dive with someone using one, then you're socially-obligated to also use one.
You don't have to buy one. Most dive centers will let you rent one.

But socially-obligated because your table-based NDL will always be less than a real-time computer.

Do you want to be "that guy" having to ascend ahead of time because you don't want to use a computer?
Well the OP bailed on this thread on the first page Nov 7. Hope he is having fun diving the tables.
OP hasn’t bailed just been working outside internet range.
Slowly catching up on the messages when in signal range.
Appreciate the feedback

Not sure if OP was asking in general or for the 4 upcoming dives.

I think if you intend to dive with someone using one, then you're socially-obligated to also use one.
You don't have to buy one. Most dive centers will let you rent one.

But socially-obligated because your table-based NDL will always be less than a real-time computer.

Do you want to be "that guy" having to ascend ahead of time because you don't want to use a computer?
For the immediate future, as far as I can tell, I will be limited to diving and exploring the local coastline. All dives will be shore based with a maximum of 4 dives per weekend sometimes less depending on weather and conditions. Local depths range between 8 - 15 meters but suggested the maximum of 18 meters to be conservative.
I acknowledge that most divers use dive computers but from what I can gather air supply will be the factor limiting the time under water.
I will probably get a computer later on but for now tables will suffice.
Just need to educate my buddies more.

For the immediate future, as far as I can tell, I will be limited to diving and exploring the local coastline. All dives will be shore based with a maximum of 4 dives per weekend sometimes less depending on weather and conditions. Local depths range between 8 - 15 meters but suggested the maximum of 18 meters to be conservative.
I acknowledge that most divers use dive computers but from what I can gather air supply will be the factor limiting the time under water.
One practical issue is that a watch and depth gauge or a bottom timer may cost more than a computer.

Play with the tables and memorise the limits. Then dive within them. Know your minimum gas limit — it’s good to always surface with 50bar or more for contingency.

One question, how do you know your depth?

Is your argument that lack of a computer never prevents any dive as people can just use their own boat?

That is what I get from your several posts here.

So lack of a few hundred dollar tool can be solved by having a few tens of thousand dollar tool? Or am I missing something in your argument?
The OP is shore diving, why would he spend tens of thousands on a boat? Like the computer I supposed he could if he wished.

That would be just the ticket for those long stops. Can I unlock that feature on my Perdix somehow?
"feature request: scubaboard s***posting capability." Imagine trying to have an internet argument using only those two side buttons.

For real though, shearwater could and should implement something for deco boredom. Simple games or the ability to load and scroll through ebooks. It might make diving safer by encouraging less-aggressive deco. I wonder why they haven't - maybe they feel divers would be too distracted looking at the games when they should be looking at their buddies? This is sufficiently off topic to be its own thread.

Sounds like a perfect plan.

What you really mean is if dive operators didn’t have computers to hand of to the tourist divers.90% of them would be unable to carry out the dive. Just follow the signs.
No, what I really mean it what I wrote. Insurance carriers require them for risk management purposes and dive operators use them, in part, to keep divers on the same dive schedule. But if handing "tourists" (aka a Divemaster's livelihood) a computer makes the sport more accessible to all types of divers, that's another "win" for computers in my book.

Reactions: OTF
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom