Reef House Lodge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm trying to figure out what demographic, what type of casual diver, would preferentially seek them out. A casual diver might do one or two dives in a day, and maybe not every day. Which leaves half-a-day most days, and maybe all day one or two days, to 'do something.' Off-site tours are one option; at CocoView Dive Resort, their website listed a number of them; I don't see them on Reef House Lodge's website. Exploring town is an option...so wouldn't divers seeking that experience stay in or closer to West End?

In other words, I'm trying to conceive what sort of new or intermediate recreational diver might post on Scuba Board asking where to stay and dive in Roatan, for whom some of us would conclude Reef House Lodge sounds like the best, or one of the very best, option(s).

Wonder what a good 'game plan' for them going forward should be?
It's been a few years since I've been to RHR but during my last couple of stays the resort was a party spot for the local expats to drink, crank up the music, and play corn hole just outside the rooms every evening. The small but great dive op remained then, and my understanding is, still did as of this summer... I avoid raucous behavior so was forced to scratch the RHR off my list.
Pre-pandemic I did see RHR occasionally advertise one day dive packages on FB. It used to be a long ride to the east end but the road improvements should have helped a bit. The food was almost always plentiful (just one one stay, I would have sworn my doc called and told them "put the fat basterd on a diet"), and always tasty, with allergies taken into account.

We've not been there for a few years, but loved our time there. It's a basic, no frill place, but like most of you, diving was our focus and the diving is quite good. We were shocked by the amount of trash floating in the water as we headed out one morning. There was a patch that was probably 200' x 100'. Thick enough that Captain had to reverse his engines several times to avoid sucking crap into it. Davit explained that there is a landfill not far away. During heavy rains, tons of this stuff just wash into the ocean. I don't really know the details because at that time, the main landfill in Roatan was on the other side of the island. It has since been relocated to a new site. Hopefully, it's far inland.

With regard to food, when were were there, that was perhaps the one thing that we didn't like much. My guess is that by offering food as a separate thing, they'll be able to broaden the menu and perhaps improve the quality. Without knowing the detains, I think that there is likely a good thing.

We considered a spontaneous trip there this week, but with covid testing requirements, spontaneous travel isn't easily accomplished! Reef House is still a great value, and probably has some of the best diving on Roatan given their "off the beaten path" location.

Anybody recently stay at the Reef House Lodge? The most recent thread I can find is from 2019. We unexpectedly have all of July available and would love to go to Roatan for the first time. We want low stress, fairly economical, and dive focused. Ideally would love CCV but know it's got to be booked up with this short of notice.
Stayed there 2x this year. Nice comfortable and easy going. Better diving in the spring as opposed to Nov/Dec/ David a good DM. Staff is very helpful and fun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom