Drysuit recommendations for Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bare's sizes are interesting... I'd presume to prioritize the height element above all else, but I'm probably in between Large and XL :p

Any brands to watch our for?
Are you looking to use this soon? And where are you located in the States? I have one id be willing to make a deal on since I always dive dry now, but I’m currently in japan and I guess shipping would be pretty expensive. I’ll be back in mid-end February. It’s an XLS, but I’m 5’7” and it’s a bit long on me so 5’10” might not be out of range. Just send me a PM if you want to discuss more!

Edit: sorry this is regarding a Hollis neotek semidry. Responded to the wrong post!

Are you looking to use this soon? And where are you located in the States? I have one id be willing to make a deal on since I always dive dry now, but I’m currently in japan and I guess shipping would be pretty expensive. I’ll be back in mid-end February. It’s an XLS, but I’m 5’7” and it’s a bit long on me so 5’10” might not be out of range. Just send me a PM if you want to discuss more!

Edit: sorry this is regarding a Hollis neotek semidry. Responded to the wrong post!
Idk, I'm very broad shouldered, so it might be a stretch. I'm not in any rush, unless the waters suddenly drop below 70. 0_0

Oh I understand what one is. I just don’t understand the point. If I’m diving in water cold enough to need a semi dry then I’m gonna be in a drysuit.
My logic is basically this:
A) Buy a drysuit, get training and additional equipment. $2k minimum for a young 23 year old
B) Get a semi-drysuit with good seals either during a good sale or used in good shape for around $500 or $600

To me, the amount of training and upkeep a drysuit would demand out of someone in their first 20 dives seems like overkill, especially for Florida. I'm not "year-round diving" in drysuit-realistic water temps.

Idk, I'm very broad shouldered, so it might be a stretch. I'm not in any rush, unless the waters suddenly drop below 70. 0_0

You can see the size chart here. XLS size is for 5’8” to 5’10”, 42-44” chest.

There is another option that has not been mentioned, and if I were the OP, I would seriously consider it. You can wear a light wetsuit and a heated vest. I have never done it myself, but I have dived with several people who did, and they were quite happy with it.

A Thermolution vest runs maybe $600 for a cheaper one than I have. OP is clearly on a budget. And the vests are hard to get due to the supply chain stuff. He’d frankly be better off just getting a good used 7mm and be done with it.

A Thermolution vest runs maybe $600 for a cheaper one than I have. OP is clearly on a budget. And the vests are hard to get due to the supply chain stuff. He’d frankly be better off just getting a good used 7mm and be done with it.
You can get heated vests for diving for under $400.

Drysuit seems like overkill for the coldest 2 months of Florida. I know semi-dry is an option, but don't know much about them aside from the fact they are semi wet.
Well it’s not always about water temp, surface temp and conditions will affect you ALOT. If the water is 65-68 but the surface temp is chilly or windy…your 7mm and boat coat might not be able to keep you warm.

Well it’s not always about water temp, surface temp and conditions will affect you ALOT. If the water is 65-68 but the surface temp is chilly or windy…your 7mm and boat coat might not be able to keep you warm.
I've yet to see any drysuiters around Florida so far; shelling out $2,000 for the suit and training seems like a complete overreaction for 2 months of the year... I'd love to be able to keep diving in Jan/Feb, but not for that pricetag.

I'll be diving this weekend maybe, and the water temperature floats between 70 and 75. This would be about the coldest the ocean would be in Florida, so I'll see if adding the extra layer I didn't take into the 68 degrees works.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom