Drysuit recommendations for Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m done with drysuits. I did that my first decade as a diver when I was diving the lakes & quarries of the Midwest.

Since moving to FL in 2016 I’ve used my drysuit once and that wasn’t really necessary. I just wanted to give it a try after a couple of years diving wet exclusively. I didn’t care for it. Drysuits require more care/upkeep & are more constricting than wetsuits. I like the freedom of diving wet.

I have a 7mm, 5mm & a 3mm. Add a hooded vest and a good boat coat and I’m all set for 12 months of South FL diving. Below 75 and I’m in a 7mm, 76-82 a 5mm, 83 and up a 3mm.

I’ve never dived a semidry. Never really understood the point. Anything below the upper 60s and I’ll dive dry.

I’m done with drysuits. I did that my first decade as a diver when I was diving the lakes & quarries of the Midwest.

Since moving to FL in 2016 I’ve used my drysuit once and that wasn’t really necessary. I just wanted to give it a try after a couple of years diving wet exclusively. I didn’t care for it. Drysuits require more care/upkeep & are more constricting than wetsuits. I like the freedom of diving wet.

I have a 7mm, 5mm & a 3mm. Add a hooded vest and a good boat coat and I’m all set for 12 months of South FL diving. Below 75 and I’m in a 7mm, 76-82 a 5mm, 83 and up a 3mm.

I’ve never dived a semidry. Never really understood the point. Anything below the upper 60s and I’ll dive dry.
The semi-dry seems to be a wetsuit with drysuit cuffs, the idea being that so little water flows through the cracks that you only have to warm the intruding water once. 68 was brutal for me, I was trying to break in a Spectrum with some flooding drills and I started shivering uncontrollably after 25 mins tops. I was trying to weigh out if going 7mm or "7mm semi-dry" were good options, mainly because drysuits are so expensive and seem so unnecessary for Florida. Supposedly the coldest the ocean gets around my area is about 66, which happens between Jan and Feb (hence why I'm weighing out some ideas).

I know a number of people who’ve managed Great Lakes diving in a semi dry, including a regular buddy of mine. I think I saw a Hollis NeoTek for sale in the SB classifies. Not sure on size but take a look.
Couldn't find one in the For Sale section. I'm sure I've seen people talking about the NeoTek here, is it that good? If I'm going to consider a 7mm anyways, maybe investing a little extra into the "drysuit cuffs" concept would be fine... Well I say "invest" but I'd guess a full 7mm is already close to $500 anyways.

The semi-dry seems to be a wetsuit with drysuit cuffs, the idea being that so little water flows through the cracks that you only have to warm the intruding water once. 68 was brutal for me, I was trying to break in a Spectrum with some flooding drills and I started shivering uncontrollably after 25 mins tops. I was trying to weigh out if going 7mm or "7mm semi-dry" were good options, mainly because drysuits are so expensive and seem so unnecessary for Florida. Supposedly the coldest the ocean gets around my area is about 66, which happens between Jan and Feb (hence why I'm weighing out some ideas).

Oh I understand what one is. I just don’t understand the point. If I’m diving in water cold enough to need a semi dry then I’m gonna be in a drysuit.

Couldn't find one in the For Sale section. I'm sure I've seen people talking about the NeoTek here, is it that good? If I'm going to consider a 7mm anyways, maybe investing a little extra into the "drysuit cuffs" concept would be fine... Well I say "invest" but I'd guess a full 7mm is already close to $500 anyways.

It’s NeoTECH. I spelled it wrong. Here’s the link.

Another option would be the Bare Velocity 7mm. I dived the women’s version when diving wet. Very warm.

Another option would be the Bare Velocity 7mm. I dived the women’s version when diving wet. Very warm.
I got a bare velocity 7mm to bring as a backup to my drysuit because I have to travel over 400 miles for the dives and stay in a motel. I stay for 3 days, and don't want to find out on the first day that my drysuit is leaking and the entire weekend is shot.

The first weekend I had it, I dived it exclusively, and I was just fine in 60° water.

I got a bare velocity 7mm to bring as a backup to my drysuit because I have to travel over 400 miles for the dives and stay in a motel. I stay for 3 days, and don't want to find out on the first day that my drysuit is leaking and the entire weekend is shot.

The first weekend I had it, I dived it exclusively, and I was just fine in 60° water.

I took my 7mm Bare Evoke along with me on my very recent trip to cave country. Just in case. A friend had drysuit zipper issues last year and having a wetsuit saved her trip.

It’s NeoTECH. I spelled it wrong. Here’s the link.

I checked the size chart and think I'm an XL, which is a bummer. I'm 5' 10 inch and about 190 ibs. I also have a broad chest, which often makes me have to go up a size. Some of the reviews say "go up a size from what you think you'd be."

I checked the size chart and think I'm an XL, which is a bummer. I'm 5' 10 inch and about 190 ibs. I also have a broad chest, which often makes me have to go up a size. Some of the reviews say "go up a size from what you think you'd be."
Look for the Bare Velocity wetsuit then. New neoprene items are in short supply due to supply chain issues. Suggest you check Bare’s size chart and then look on here, FB Marketplace, and eBay for a used one.

Bare's sizes are interesting... I'd presume to prioritize the height element above all else, but I'm probably in between Large and XL :p

Any brands to watch our for?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom