Is a Computer essential kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive computers bring completely different planning techniques to the table.

"Fancy this 60m/200ft dive tomorrow Fred?"
"Yeah, why not…"
That night spent gassing up for 60m, but better add some contingency, call it 70m/230ft just in case. Quick check that there’s enough bailout and what the max bottom time would be for 70m with that bailout, also for 60m…. Sort out kit and dive computers
Next day check with the skipper for the max runtime. If buddying up with someone else then make sure they know it’s the target runtime and check what Gradient Factors they’re diving. If the skipper’s runtime is longer than my bailout runtime, then bailout becomes the max runtime.
Then jump in.

Dive's run for the total runtime as per the computer’s calculations. Max depth would be the contingency, 70m/230ft.

Enjoy the dive monitoring the runtime and TTS (time to surface) so it doesn’t exceed the max runtime. Dive computer(s) give you the running numbers and estimate when to leave the bottom or head back to the shot line.

If buddying then maybe some communication during the dive for TTS comparison.

If diving like this, then the computerS become essential dive equipment and hence carry two minimum, maybe three.
Three computers? When do I get to watch the little fishes.

Making any diving decisions because you feel socially obligated is a critical mistake. Every dive I made using US navy tables I had longer bottom times and less deco than a fellow diver using a computer. So people saying that using tables is a disadvantage are not talking from experience where dive time is concerned. Tables are consistent but I’ve seen two different make computers on different settings come up with totally different dive plans. Which one of those divers is not socially acceptable.

This is the basic scuba section of the forum.

You’re mixing with the wrong people.
Not at all - I have dived with some great operators in some amazing locations that would not have been possible if I did not use a computer.

Maybe you don’t travel much? The fact is that computers are a required piece of gear for recreational boat diving in every place I’ve boat dived so far and those I have planned for this year, including 2 liveaboards.

And… as others have said, the OP doesn’t NEED a computer for the type of diving that was described. However, why not enjoy the convenience and flexibility that a computer provides - it’s 2022 and computers can be had cheap (and can be used as a basic depth gauge and timer, if so desired).

Not at all - I have dived with some great operators in some amazing locations that would not have been possible if I did not use a computer.

Maybe you don’t travel much? The fact is that computers are a required piece of gear for recreational boat diving in every place I’ve boat dived so far and those I have planned for this year, including 2 liveaboards.

And… as others have said, the OP doesn’t NEED a computer for the type of diving that was described. However, why not enjoy the convenience and flexibility that a computer provides - it’s 2022 and computers can be had cheap (and can be used as a basic depth gauge and timer, if so desired).
The children are out on the reef diving with no computer. The tour buses would drive through the villages in the west of Ireland and the children would look at them and wonder what are they doing. It’s the same all over the world. While working on some moorings in the dock a few months ago a Polish man asked me to fill some tanks he couldn’t get filled because they didn’t have the right stamp. We had some great dives that weekend. Do you think I asked him if he had a computer.

The children are out on the reef diving with no computer. The tour buses would drive through the villages in the west of Ireland and the children would look at them and wonder what are they doing. It’s the same all over the world. While working on some moorings in the dock a few months ago a Polish man asked me to fill some tanks he couldn’t get filled because they didn’t have the right stamp. We had some great dives that weekend. Do you think I asked him if he had a computer.
I’m not sure what point your incoherent response is trying to make? That Irish children don’t know what tour buses are? That you don’t worry about properly checking tanks before filling them for strangers?

Regardless, it does not change the fact that - like it or not - boat diving with recreational operators requires one to have a computer in many parts of the world (can’t say all, but everywhere that I’ve been so far) - not sure why you are unable (or unwilling) to comprehend that very simple fact…

Never heard of not being able to dive without a computer on a boat,

seems strange, think I would try getting away with it just because someone says I can't do something,
but then again I don't dive cattle boats very often, and the ones I did, i didn't have a computer at that time,

But this thread is getting stupid,

YES ANYONE CAN DIVE WITHOUT A COMPUTER!!!! THEY JUST HAVE TO WANT TOO,
ALSO ANYONE CAN DIVE WITH A COMPUTER!! THEY JUST HAVE TO WANT TOO,
I sure hope the OP just went diving, instead of watching bickering,

The OP is currently word smithing his next two posts, "My instructor said I need to use split fins" , and "I'm thinking of going back plate and wing but I've heard that could kill me", in order do generate maximum discord.

It would stop you from boat diving in every single tropical destination that I’ve been to!
I have been on a boat in NJ that required a pony for a 60’ wreck. I bet they would be thrilled to see Mac64 pull out his little plastic cards. And pull out your J-valve too.pressure gauges are so over rated

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom