Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... While I'm definitely in the "show me the pics" camp, ...

Every JUP/WPB diver knows that a 'sighting' only has one gold standard and that's a Picture. But it's not about what the internet says, it's all about checking that species off your own personal bucket list. GDGW's have been photographed in our waters at this time of year. On my next dive, I'll absolutely have a GW in the back of my mind as I check behind me frequently to see who's following my dead seafood dinner bag around at 95 deep. And that shows I also believe the divers saw something.
{I'm itching to get back in the water to see stuff}

Every JUP/WPB diver knows that a 'sighting' only has one gold standard and that's a Picture. But it's not about what the internet says, it's all about checking that species off your own personal bucket list. GDGW's have been photographed in our waters at this time of year. On my next dive, I'll absolutely have a GW in the back of my mind as I check behind me frequently to see who's following my dead seafood dinner bag around at 95 deep. And that shows I also believe the divers saw something.

Conditions are looking decent to good for the next 10 days. Hopefully that holds! I'm diving again right after the first of the year.

Conditions are looking decent to good for the next 10 days. Hopefully that holds! I'm diving again right after the first of the
I’m up north for a week visiting family. Checked the marine forecast this morning and for a moment thought about coming back early. I’ll hopefully be back in the water on the 31st.

Quick Jupiter dive report to close out the year.

Great conditions today. Light winds, calm seas, 80 feet of visibility, 77 degree water and a trickle of North current. Can't ask for better than that! Plenty of sharks are turtles swimming around a few bugs if you search hard enough. Overall a great day and a great end to 2021. Happy new year everyone!

, 80 feet of visibility, 77 degree water and a trickle of North current.
Thanks for the report. Tried to get out on Friday, but fiscal year end reports doomed me to the desk. 1st 3wks of January are usually blown out so it's a great time to do any fix'in. My wheeled mesh gear bag looks like I dragged it down A1A so I'll be swapping it out after upgrading the wheel struts on the new bag.

Drift dive etiquette question for Jupiter people:

Will be trying to schedule a dive out of Jupiter again this Spring -- really enjoyed it last year. I did actually have one question and/or request for advice. What is the etiquette on one of these dives is someone has trouble clearing? For example, if everyone jumps and the guide and divers are down at the bottom ready to go and it takes someone an extra several minutes to descend, what is the appropriate way to deal with that? (In my family, it's probably about 50/50 that someone will take extra time -- just part of diving for us, although we all get there eventually.)

Since this is a once per year event, I'll probably hire a private guide again, but honestly the primary reason for doing that is not to irritate others in the group if someone takes longer to clear.

You typically descend as buddy pairs sometimes within a larger group led by a DM, sometimes not.

If you can't descend for whatever reason- ears, not enough weight, scared off by a large Ray...then you and your buddy will need to either slow your descent as necessary or abort the dive and hope the dive Op will re-drop you if you still want to continue the dive.

At any rate the entire group isn't going to end the dive or sit on the surface waiting for a diver that has issues with ears or gear.

What is the etiquette on one of these dives is someone has trouble clearing? For example, if everyone jumps and the guide and divers are down at the bottom ready to go and it takes someone an extra several minutes to descend, what is the appropriate way to deal with that?

The guide has to stay with the main group, so you are probably going to be left behind.

What does the GD in GDGW stand for?

What does the GD in GDGW stand for?
If you watch the hundreds of GW videos on YouTube for fishing/boats,
They all have 1 specific yelling phrase...........

It's a ___G A W D ____ D A M M___ G R E A T ___W H I T E !!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom