Is a Computer essential kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, not really, but given the affordability of numerous perfectly fine entry level computers, I sure as heck wouldn’t dive without one. I first certified over 16 years ago and outside of my OW course, I’ve not done a single dive without a computer.

I believe the limiting factor for me will be air time as the depth is a maximum and actual depth is much shallower.
Just trying to educate and arm myself against dive buddy peer pressure

What @tbone1004 said: if you need a depth gauge, and you find a good one, see how much it costs and compare to the price of the cheap computer.

I don't use a PDC. My diving these days is local (Midwest USA) walk-in, recreational dives, and for these I use analog gauges, a self-winding diver's watch, and submersible tables. Simple. No batteries required. Pretty much like I learned in 1986.

FWIW,

rx7diver

Like others…no you do not. I wanted one but dived without one for quite awhile as I prioritized other gear. i eventually purchased a cheap ($50) used one on eBay and used that until eventually getting a Perdix ($$$)

I’ve never used one. But I plan dives meticulously. Unlike another poster for me a well written letter by hand is a work of art compared to an email.

I live close to the coast
I'm from Melbourne, where are you planning to dive.
First time diving at 18m having spent years diving at around 10m the air was leaving my tank like water leaving a bucket so it's no time to be complacent without experience or a computer despite the experts or the price

Back
Top Bottom