DiveGearExpress.com has removed third-party analytics data gathering and tracking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveGearExpress

Contributor
Reaction score
Technical divers often refer to themselves as a bit ‘paranoid’ when it comes to their style of diving. A misuse of the term, but there is benefit to planning for the worst when trusting dive equipment. As an online retailer, DGX often applies the same concepts to managing technology that supports us and the privacy of your interactions with us. As the result of a lengthy project, DGX has finished removing all third-party analytics data gathering scripts, tracking cookies and web beacons from our website including those of Google, Microsoft, and Facebook.

We actually started on this project over a year ago, naively thinking it would be relatively straightforward to remove all this stuff. It actually turned out to be extremely challenging and surprisingly turned out to be very expensive and disruptive as well. Dive Gear Express relies upon a popular ecommerce platform, which has a lot of this stuff "built-in" and various software extensions to the platform we used were adding even more of it. It's almost impossible to effectively manage a significant ecommerce site without analytics, and Google Analytics (GA) is the "gorilla" in the marketplace... essentially a 'de facto' standard.

We tried just 'disabling' the built-in stuff only to discover that some popular extensions we used simply expected it to be present... that necessitated replacing or updating a massive amount of software (using GDPR compliant versions). But even that was not entirely satisfactory, because mostly the way these GDPR compliant versions work is by simply asking your permission to track you and if you don't give permission then the site functionality is seriously impaired. We also had to forego some of the marketing tools prospective customers often expect to see embedded in websites such as company reviews and what I call "merit badges" - simply no way to know how much their absence is costing us. Our Adwords management company had no experience managing without using GA. Ultimately it will require a completely different approach to marketing for 2022 that necessitated a change in agencies (keep in mind the usual pitch from agencies includes saying how good they are at data mining the analytics.)

But our goal has been accomplished, we turned off the last major piece of third-party analytics yesterday. Take a look at what the website of another dive equipment retailer connects to when browsing their home page.... using WebPageTest - Website Performance and Optimization Test and viewing the domain connection list for their home page URL...

1640860434884.png

Amazon tracking, Google Analytics and Tag Manager, Doubleclick, Facebook tracking, Microsoft tracking (clarity, bing), Trustpilot, Clickagy (Zoominfo!!!), Bugsnag, are the obvious data gathering, tracking and marketing engines I recognize from my research, probably a few more of those are capturing analytics data and not admitting to it.

Now take a look at the divegearepress.com results for the domains connected to by our home page using the same tool, nothing but our own website.

1640861237600.png

That's not to say we are completely clean, we use our own secure cookies in order to function, but in so far as I can detect we are rid of all the obvious and known third-party analytics data scrapers. Our own privacy page now provides an opt-out option for some of our internal data gathering, but even that little bit of data is not being shared. We sometimes have to temporarily enable Google reCaptcha when under attack by the hackers (an hCaptcha solution is not yet available for our e-commerce platform) and our Checkout flow out of necessity needs to capture some information in order to protect our customers, safely accept payment and detect fraud. We also request a company review using a dialog box from Google Customer Reviews on the checkout success page following checkout, but nothing goes to Google if you opt out of the request. It is doubtful we'll ever be able to entirely eliminate analytics data capture from checkout.

We did decide to turn off Amazon Pay, which was a very popular payment method on our website but it was sending a enormous amount of tracking and purchase information to Amazon. We discovered AmazonPay was literally 'phoning home' from every single page of our website, even though it technically only needed to communicate with Amazon during checkout. We later learned Amazon was extensively data mining the information to compete against not just us but all the scuba retailers. To a much lesser extent the other 3rd party payment methods also collect some information when you select them as a payment method but then if you are checking out with PayPal, ApplePay, Gpay, or Venmo you know you already made a deal with them for your data and at least they aren't direct competitors. If you want to keep the tracking to a minimum, make payment by entering your card or use Zelle.

Just to be clear, 'they' are still watching you but we are no longer helping 'them'. :cool: The research to figure out what these things were actually doing, and how to eliminate them from the DiveGearExpress.com website, was an eye opener in to the very real concerns some experts express about data privacy. :oops:

Bravo!

DGX leads the way.

Congratulations and thank you. Besides good stuff and good service, you are delivering a good example to the e-commerce world.

With all of that work, can you sell that as a "skin" for other vendors to use? (Not necessarily in the SCUBA space).

with the exception of Amazon making themselves a direct competitor... this seems to be a waste of time and resources. If I was really that worried about being tracked I would just call you to place my orders, use incognito browser mode and own a non-smartphone. I mean thanks for the effort but seriously unless everyone does the same it really doesn't matter much.

With all of that work, can you sell that as a "skin" for other vendors to use? (Not necessarily in the SCUBA space).

Ironically it's the other way around... we couldn't pay other websites to use what is called our theme.

Our website design has consistently been dismissed by the design experts for years... we've hired many 'experts' to review our website... we don't pay much attention to their complaints any more: no lifestyle photography, no "trust" or merit badges, no banners, no re-marketing, no abandoned cart emails, no "value proposition" graphics promoting free stuff or value adds, indeed almost no graphics of any kind, too organized thus not encouraging visitor to linger and surf around in the site, no contests, no coupons, no loyalty programs, no 'signup' blocks for news letters, no 'blogs', no payment acceptance icons, no keyword stuffing, almost no optimization for search engines, lack of color, no popups, no automated suggestions, too easy to empty the cart, too much non-marketing information, too much information about the product, too few SKU's, our policies are too transparent, too generous a return policy, no 'event' or holiday sales, no promotion about best/lowest prices and discounts, and on and on... with the removal of the third party analytics... the e-commerce experts would probably say we have sunk to a 'new low'. I recall some time ago that one guy said our site is an excellent example of 'what NOT to do'.

We think visitors aren't really looking for a 'shopping experience', they just need good dive gear at a good price to support their diving or to solve a problem: find it fast, drop it in the cart and checkout with the absolute minimum of noise and distraction.

We think visitors aren't really looking for a 'shopping experience', they just need good dive gear at a good price to support their diving or to solve a problem: find it fast, drop it in the cart and checkout with the absolute minimum of noise and distraction.

you did that well before your purge... :) what you have eliminated are the 50 advertisements POST purchase that always seems to happen... it has become the norm and ignored.

it is like tipping the guy at the checkout window of McDonalds... quite unnecessary , but appreciated.

with the exception of Amazon making themselves a direct competitor... this seems to be a waste of time and resources. If I was really that worried about being tracked I would just call you to place my orders, use incognito browser mode and own a non-smartphone. I mean thanks for the effort but seriously unless everyone does the same it really doesn't matter much.
As much as it pains me to say it... I agree with you... looking back at what it took to accomplish this with so little benefit to public in general, I would have some serious second thoughts... but after a while we were "pot committed" and so pushed on. I can only say to myself that someone has to be an early adopter to lead the way, and that's something I have seen a lot of in technical diving.

@CuzzA , did you catch this?

Good job, now we need to support smart sellers like this,
It's amazing all the extra trash everyone inserts, and we wonder why we keep needing more speed and data

@mderrick That is exactly the experience I'm looking for!

OK "more stuff" would be great if I had to register a "critique" but I get that trying to have everything for everybody is a fool's errand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom