RIP Richard Marcinko, 1st CO of Seal Team 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LT Murphy
MSG Gordon
SFC Shugart

Just to name 3.
Yeah, I think we still produce a lot of people who are just as good at the job. What really set Marcinko apart was his penchant for flouting the rules (for better and worse) and his capacity for self-publicity.

I always got the impression that Commander Marcinko took on the roll of SEAL team crusader, which required publicity. No doubt he knew it would not enhance his career. Naval politics dictates "don't rock the boat", figuratively speaking of course.

He was a high school drop out, joined the Navy, was accepted and served with the UDT around the time the SEALs were authorized, and ultimately became a mustang. I believe he was the victim of putting egg on too many of his superior's faces who all had more scrambled eggs on their brims than he did. A few non-issue regulators that never find their way back to the diving locker is SOP.

Another local boy born here in the Pocono Mountain region of Pennsylvania who did good. Another was actor Aldo Ray who was a Navy UDT frogman in WWII. I enjoyed Marcinko's books and have a cassette tape of his advice for leadership in business.

Another local boy born here in the Pocono Mountain region of Pennsylvania who did good. Another was actor Aldo Ray who was a Navy UDT frogman in WWII. I enjoyed Marcinko's books and have a cassette tape of his advice for leadership in business.

The guy knew how to do his job and did it well. When he was charged with training and running Team 6 he and his men did so with the same frame of mind. And, he did not buy into the regular officers club. They focused on pleasing superiors, he focused on finding ways to win the next war. Back then an open in a San Diego area paper accused him of cheating during his security testing operations. The comments were mostly military, pro military and or retired military. In essence they all said "tell the bad guys not to cheat and when they follow the rules, we might follow the rules." That was during the time when red brigade was kidnapping us servicemen, Hezbollah was a start up-wannabe organization and the USSR was shipping arms to Ortega in Nicaragua. Truly epic times then.

The guy knew how to do his job and did it well. When he was charged with training and running Team 6 he and his men did so with the same frame of mind. And, he did not buy into the regular officers club. They focused on pleasing superiors, he focused on finding ways to win the next war. Back then an open in a San Diego area paper accused him of cheating during his security testing operations. The comments were mostly military, pro military and or retired military. In essence they all said "tell the bad guys not to cheat and when they follow the rules, we might follow the rules." That was during the time when red brigade was kidnapping us servicemen, Hezbollah was a start up-wannabe organization and the USSR was shipping arms to Ortega in Nicaragua. Truly epic times then.

Yes they still produce them the same way today.

A true legend.

His Sea Daddy, Roy Boehm, lived here in Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte after his retirement. You used to see a black SUV with the license tag "SEAL 1" driving around. I never really thought much about it until I read Rogue Warrior, thereafter I would get a thrill just seeing it and knowing a bit about who was behind the wheel.

I would have gotten the same goosebumps had I seen a license tag "SEAL 6".

Naval nuclear operators. We’re high functioning austistic man-babies who are told from the day we’re born that we’re smarter than everyone else.

We use pocket protectors and slide rules for fun.
Well, I used to work on the ASVAB. Most of the actual work is done by contractors (I worked for Booz, Allen) and is overseen by a joint-service committee. Nukes had the highest cut-score of any specialty among all five services. So from a standardized testing point of view, you and your colleagues were the smartest among enlisted service members.

Naval nuclear operators. We’re high functioning austistic man-babies who are told from the day we’re born that we’re smarter than everyone else.

We use pocket protectors and slide rules for fun.

Like this? These are good to wear around hanging from your belt - guaranteed to embarrass your children.

Attachments

• Sliderule.jpg
    Sliderule.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 59
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom