Any chance to see a Peregrine Ai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like by the time you add the transmitter and pay the extra for the firmware, you could probably pay $200-300 more and just get the Perdix.

Why do you need alarms for these endpoints?
The low NDL alarm (alert?) was handy in this example. I knew I was close to the NDL but didn't wanna keep staring at my dive computer as a pose to the Mola mola in front of us. I feel a vibrate on my computer (which I was expecting) which in turn prompts me to check and confirm I'm at low NDL and start ascending. Had the vibrate not happened, I do check my computer periodically, perhaps with a slightly longer interval and would have noticed shortly after about the NDL, since I was expecting an alert anyway.

Another instance, my buddies and I are getting towards the end of a dive, I feel a vibrate on my arm and spot the safety stop counting down out of the corner of my eye, hence I know we just hit 6 meters. The depth is not important but I know my friends would prefer not to wait an extra 5 mins for my safety stop because I didn't shallow up an extra 30cm until the last moment. I prefer to get my safety stop out of the way in that instance (since we are swimming along in the shallows for that exact reason).

These are both recreational instances of course - I have no experience in Tec.

Do they stop me from checking my computer? No.
Do they enhance the feedback and re-enforce communication between the computer and me? Yes :D

I didn't think they were useful, until I used them on the peregrine. I have a Teric on loan at the moment as I wanted the AI. I was about to buy the Perdix but honestly I would really miss this feature, especially considering the price jump from the Peregrine to Perdix AI / Teric.

Hope this helps

Seems like by the time you add the transmitter and pay the extra for the firmware, you could probably pay $200-300 more and just get the Perdix.
As Scubadada said, the difference might be as low as $85.
You’d need the transmitter with either Perdix AI or for a Peregrine AI. If new, that’s $300/350-$400 depending on if you get a PPS or Swift transmitter, but it’s a wash as both would need it.

Pay extra for what firmware? Firmware is the same for the Perdix AI, Peregrine, and several other models. Hardware differences dictate the features that are available or not. So, it seems to me that the firmware for the Peregrine AI already exists, the current device just doesn’t have the hardware to make it work.

Seems highly unlikely, but Shearwater also told me at one point there was zero chance they'd ever make a lower end model of their Perdix without all the tech support and just a good screen because all of their research was put into the software.

Surprise! They made the Peregrine :)

Back
Top Bottom