Odd mask leakage problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you masks leak when you turn your head, this most likely means your masks are not tight on your temples. The masks are too wide or too narrow or your temples are too hairy. You turn your head, your temple points up, air gets out, water gets in.

I have double checked (on land) and there seems to be pretty good seal at the temples. The mask skirt is well away from what little hair I've got there. Twisting my head around in front of the mirror while inhaling through the nose, I can't break the seal unless I pick at the skirt with my fingers.
1. If there's a current, try keeping your mask facing up or down current, not cross current where its hitting the sides of your mask.
Current doesn't seem to be a factor.

2. Make sure you are breathing out of your mouth and not your nose.

I am.

3. Shaving helps.

I shave clean every other day or so while diving. I'll probably go with a fully shaven head sometime soon.

4. No head scarfs

Never worn any.

Have you tested your mask TOPSIDE for no air leaks?

Yes, and it seems bulletproof.

The thing is that your face must remain expressionless like botox
Yeah, that's a problem - I'm prone to involuntary facial expressions, and that has caused many a mask flood for me.

Looking up is a great one for expoloding the seal around your upper lip and nose to titanic proportions
Looking up is not generally a problem, it's looking sideways and up.

And tighten your mask strap, and get a neoprene slap thing for it, so it slips when you move your head

I was actually trying to loosen it, which didn't help. I guess I'll try a mask strap cover, although I've been under the impression that they're more useful for people with actual hair.

Are you use a hood (helmet) with long collar?

I don't use hoods at all, can't stand them. I carry a floppy hat in my BCD pocket for sun protection when bobbing around on the surface waiting for boat pickup, but underwater, my bald pate is bare for all to see.

Underwater it may work differently. The air can shift your mask when your head is inclined. But, anyway, I'm sure you'll figure this out.

Mouthpiece issues seem a likely culprit. But there may be other issues:

Do you unconsciously exhale through your nose? That can move masks around on your face. I had one student that managed to expose her whole nose without knowing it.

Any chance a snorkel is getting twisted around and causing problems? If the snorkel gets caught or pinned, it tugs at the steap as your head moves.

Do you unconsciously exhale through your nose? That can move masks around on your face. I had one student that managed to expose her whole nose without knowing it.
I don't think I do; if I did, then I would be having those issues in level flight, not when I'm twisting around.

Any chance a snorkel is getting twisted around and causing problems? If the snorkel gets caught or pinned, it tugs at the steap as your head moves.

I don't have one of those.

To the original poster: Put your mask on without the straps while on land. Create a seal by inhaling thru nose. Now move your face around like you might underwater. Move your tongue under your upper lip. Can you hold the seal?

Hope this helps.

To the original poster: Put your mask on without the straps while on land. Create a seal by inhaling thru nose. Now move your face around like you might underwater. Move your tongue under your upper lip. Can you hold the seal?

Hope this helps.

Just tried it, and seems okay... until I squint, and then the seal breaks immediately. Guess I have to concentrate more on relaxing my face underwater.

Just tried it, and seems okay... until I squint, and then the seal breaks immediately. Guess I have to concentrate more on relaxing my face underwater.

On what part of your head are you wearing your mask strap?

Sometimes mask problems are as simple as the strap placement not being ideal. Every head is different. Perhaps try your exercises with your mask strap in slightly different placement?

Regardless of results, do get yourself a neoprene strap or strap cover.

This might seem counter-intuitive, but could your mask strap be too tight? I once had an annoying leak much like the way you have described yours, and I kept tightening my mask strap. It turns out that it was too tight (it was not at the point where it was uncomfortable) and was distorting the silicone a little, just enough that with my head in certain positions, the distortion caused a slow leak. I loosened it off and "Ta Da!" problem solved.

This might seem counter-intuitive, but could your mask strap be too tight? I once had an annoying leak much like the way you have described yours, and I kept tightening my mask strap. It turns out that it was too tight (it was not at the point where it was uncomfortable) and was distorting the silicone a little, just enough that with my head in certain positions, the distortion caused a slow leak. I loosened it off and "Ta Da!" problem solved.

Good one, Hoag! Yes, that can be a serious problem for many new divers and some not so new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom