Odd mask leakage problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barmaglot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been diving for a few years now, I've got two masks - my main is a Mares Liquid Skin, my backup (which I haven't had the need to deploy as of yet, outside of training, but better to have and not need rather than need and not have) is a Scubapro Synergy II Twin. I do not wear a beard, and I make a point of shaving before diving. However, with both of them, I have the same problem - when I twist my head around, they don't so much as leak as they flood, filling with water within a few seconds. Doesn't happen all the time, but often enough to be a major annoyance. Given that my main underwater pursuit is photography, which leads to some major contortionism, this is less than optimal - for example, shooting directly upwards while very close to a wall is a particular challenge. Is this supposed to happen, or am I doing something wrong? I don't know if this is relevant, but I have very little in the way of hair (weekly pass with clippers, no guard) and I don't use a mask strap cover.

Try a different mouthpiece on your regulator.
Interesting idea... you think the mouthpiece is making my face distort in a way that breaks the mask seal when I twist my neck? I had my regulator serviced last month, but looking at the invoice, it doesn't look like a new mouthpiece was part of the deal, so it may be worth investigating.

Interesting idea... you think the mouthpiece is making my face distort in a way that breaks the mask seal when I twist my neck? I had my regulator serviced last month, but looking at the invoice, it doesn't look like a new mouthpiece was part of the deal, so it may be worth investigating.
Weird things happen when you move your head, the mouthpiece may be pushing your lip out and breaking the seal, or not but its a place to start.

Try a different mouthpiece on your regulator.
I second this. Since it's happening with both masks, it's probably mouthpiece fit or some other non-mask related issue. Good place to start anyway!:) .

As I've said many times here already, masks do not leak from below, they leak from above. For water to get in, the air in the mask needs to get out, and it gets out at whatever point of your mask is looking up. I have a beard almost up to my eyes and mustaches up to my nose and I have not been shaving for the past 40 years. And my masks do not leak because once I figured this out, I pick them by how well they stick to my forehead.

If you masks leak when you turn your head, this most likely means your masks are not tight on your temples. The masks are too wide or too narrow or your temples are too hairy. You turn your head, your temple points up, air gets out, water gets in.

1. If there's a current, try keeping your mask facing up or down current, not cross current where its hitting the sides of your mask.

2. Make sure you are breathing out of your mouth and not your nose.

3. Shaving helps.

4. No head scarfs

Have you tested your mask TOPSIDE for no air leaks?

The thing is that your face must remain expressionless like botox and you
keep the face nerves separate from the enthusiasm you feel whilst diving
or the straining you express through your face, whilst you are contorting

The other answers in this circus are just plucked from the air or irrelevant

See

the-flip-top-lid_the-flip-top-head.jpg

Looking up is a great one for expoloding the seal around your upper lip and nose to titanic proportions

Practice laughing and with only your eyes, and contorting

And tighten your mask strap, and get a neoprene slap thing for it, so it slips when you move your head

Are you use a hood (helmet) with long collar?
may be collar is tightly fixed on the neck, and when you turning your head it pulling the neoprene of the helmet and it shifted you mask? try to place the collar not under the suit, but over :)

P.S. Прикольный ник :)

Back
Top Bottom