December diving day trip out of Dubai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moorish8idol

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks!

I will be in Dubai the week between Christmas and New Year's and will have a few days on my own. I might be keen to do some diving one of the days - any recommendations on places/shops to go to? I am rescue-level and would be happy to just get back in the water though I prefer (big, if possible) animal-focused diving to wrecks, if that is an option.

I will not have my own transportation so it would have to be easily reachable from Dubai (I am staying on the lower palm) or have transportation options included. I think other emirates might be the better/only options but I am not keen to go if I have to do a PCR test to get in just for the day (I am fully vaccinated and already have to do one to get back into Switzerland after the trip).

My friends will be joining me later in the week and we will do the deepest pool in Dubai diver together later on so that will not be in the plans for me when I am on my own.

Thanks!

The Only Dive centre now operating in Dubai is Scuba Shade Which in at the edge of the Marina at Habtoor Grand Resort Hotel

Dubai diving is limited to wrecks, vis can be variable but generally green water 10m max. Water temps in Dec will be in the low 20's

The main divign is on the East Coast (Fujairah), but thats a 2 hour drive. I don't believe any of teh dive shops in Dubai that have centres on the East coast have transport.

Other Dive Shops to ask

The Dive Garage (they operate Divers Down on the East Coast

Al Boom - they also have a centre on the East coast

East Coast diving is mostly small stuff. If you were lucky you might see black tips on one site, if you were very very very lucky you might see a whale shark, but they're rare off the East Coast

@RainPilot might have more suggestions

Currently no PCR testing is required to go diving.

Al Boom does arrange transport to Fujairah

If you want to see big stuff then dive the Aquarium in Dubai Mall with Al Boom, you're unlikely to encounter any big stuff off Fujairah although I did see a whale shark there for the second time in over 20 years diving off Fujairah a couple of months ago. It's all about timing as I know I missed two other encounters, but it's all down to luck.

They do run a shuttle bus from their shop on Wasl Road, which is a long drive from your hotel and it's a two hour drive to their dive centre.

Divers Down are a good option Home

Mid week boats are usually quiet.

There are plenty of taxis available and 3,000 new taxi drivers have been imported recently. I used one the other night and had to guide him to my destination, be prepared for that. He couldn't find his way out of a wet paper bag!

Best bet is to use Scuba Shade, but it's long boat rides to the wrecks, however they do have an east coast option too. Scuba Shade Give them a call and ask for "Shaz" she used to work for Divers Down / Dive Garage, and might be able to advise.

Where I normally dive out of Fujairah International Marine Club (FMIC) is only a 90 minute drive compared to two hours and I know that Barracuda Dive Centre (BDC) are operating mid week during that period.

To be honest, if I wasn't in the middle of moving house I'd offer you a ride to BDC, but my current and new places are still far from your planned hotel on the Palm.

Hi folks!

I will be in Dubai the week between Christmas and New Year's and will have a few days on my own. I might be keen to do some diving one of the days - any recommendations on places/shops to go to? I am rescue-level and would be happy to just get back in the water though I prefer (big, if possible) animal-focused diving to wrecks, if that is an option.

I will not have my own transportation so it would have to be easily reachable from Dubai (I am staying on the lower palm) or have transportation options included. I think other emirates might be the better/only options but I am not keen to go if I have to do a PCR test to get in just for the day (I am fully vaccinated and already have to do one to get back into Switzerland after the trip).

My friends will be joining me later in the week and we will do the deepest pool in Dubai diver together later on so that will not be in the plans for me when I am on my own.

Thanks!
I went diving in Fujairah on Thursday 23rd with my wife and Al Boom. 2 hours drive from Dubai. The shop is neat and the management professional. Two wreck dives but unfortunately the vis was crap, the waters green and the DM instructed us not to wander around too much because of the current that really was not that bad at 30 meters. A bit disappointed but it seems that this is the way at this time of the year. Not sure we will dive again in Dubai or it will be the Deep dive pool just for the opportunity.

Two wreck dives but unfortunately the vis was crap, the waters green and the DM instructed us not to wander around too much because of the current that really was not that bad at 30 meters.

Two wrecks? well I assume since you mention a 30m dive one was Inchcape 1 so the other was Inchcape 2 (22m).

Very difficult to get lost on these small wrecks to be honest and if the vis was bad then that was more likely due to the tidal movement and poor planning!

The better less dived reefs are further south which thankfully the masses don't dive.
A bit disappointed but it seems that this is the way at this time of the year.

Incorrect.

I went diving in Fujairah on Thursday 23rd with my wife and Al Boom. 2 hours drive from Dubai. The shop is neat and the management professional. Two wreck dives but unfortunately the vis was crap, the waters green and the DM instructed us not to wander around too much because of the current that really was not that bad at 30 meters. A bit disappointed but it seems that this is the way at this time of the year. Not sure we will dive again in Dubai or it will be the Deep dive pool just for the opportunity.

Unfortunate because winter tends to be better visibility.

I was at the very same dive spot last Friday and of course visibility was same if not worse. But you are getting used to it once keep diving into a stew occasionally))

Good vis here is generally around 5m :D

I'll be diving probably next Friday and next Sunday, our weekends are about to change here!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom