Does anyone use a second inflator hose for

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I added an LP hose to my long-hose reg set when I did my Dry Suit course. I left it on even though dry suit diving will be a rarity (if ever) for me. I do use my DSMB a lot when I am diving. Probably every dive. So the extra hose on my reg set works great for me. If I ever need to use a dry suit, I still have an inflator hose for it.

TBH, I have a Halcyon 4.5' Big DAM SMB and orally inflating it at 40 or so feet is no biggy at all. If I launch at 15-20 feet the inflator hose is a convenience to get a quick fill that doesn't really affect my B&T and still gets enough gas to rise at the surface. I can still orally inflate too. For me, the DSMB inflator hose is just a convenience. Mastering my DSMB launching skills are more important.

For the ones who disconnect the drysuit inflator to inflate your DSMB, do you route the hose behind the arm, under the armpit then under the harness?

If you route it like this, it’s not so long when disconnected and if I would use it to inflate a DSMB it would be very close to my own face.

What an interesting idea. I've always orally inflated. That works fine and is simple but I never really get the dsmb completely full. This seems like it might stand a better chance.

I think it was not mentioned explicitly but if you dive with a stage (or pony, pony was mentioned) or if you use a drysuit inflation bottle, you’ll have a spare quick disconnect hose that you can use easily without disconnecting anything (if that helps)

Not all dsmbs have an inflator suitable for use with a BC quick disconnect. Piranha has several dsmbs with the BC QD inflator and also has the replacement parts to convert oral only types. I can shoot my dsmb single handed with the QD inflator. I do occasionally fumble a bit or revert to using two hands but either way, the QD inflator method is so quick and easy and does not require removing the regulator from my mouth.

You need this type here on your dsmb, available in plastic or metal, make sure it has no locking notch:

James

For the ones who disconnect the drysuit inflator to inflate your DSMB, do you route the hose behind the arm, under the armpit then under the harness?

If you route it like this, it’s not so long when disconnected and if I would use it to inflate a DSMB it would be very close to my own face.
Pull it out from under the harness and up/over the arm.

I prefer to use the bc hose though.

I think it was not mentioned explicitly but if you dive with a stage (or pony, pony was mentioned) or if you use a drysuit inflation bottle, you’ll have a spare quick disconnect hose that you can use easily without disconnecting anything (if that helps)
Basically if I am <100ft around here I am fine inflating a little SMB with my mouth.
If I am deeper, I'm using helium and a suit gas bottle. So magic - I have a free BC whip off the left post already.

Another alternative suggested to me is to use a fourth hose. Since I am now running a 30 inch spg hose (so I can see the dang thing!) I could run a LP hose also of 30 inches and put a bolt snap on it and clip it off right beside my spg. Reach down, unclip, inflate the dsmb, stow it or let it hang, the dive is probably at end anyways. I like my Y because it eliminates a hose but sometimes I am accused of taking minimalsim to the extreme. Nahhhh :wink:.

James

I have also used one with an air nozzle when I had to fill lot of small lift bags.

Plus one . . .

Part 2 to my post, I was thinking of getting one of these rubber air blower nozzles, but then I would need to disconnect my BC inflator hose, connect this, inflate SMB, disconnect this and reconnect BC. Then the question is where do I keep this doohickey (bc pocket?) and how many should I buy for each one I drop :). Or can I maybe have it hang off my BC inflator, with shore piece of bungee cord tie wrapped to it, so it is always easily found and attached?

View attachment 697285
Having this thiing in the pocket is kinda ridiculouus. The whole idea is to be able to inflate quickly and efficiently, and having it in a pocket and having to do multiple connect / disconnect actions defeats the purpose in my opinion. What I have often done is just run an additional LP inflator hose and route it parallel to the BC inflator hose and just have the thing sticking out. You will occasionally bump it on the boat and underwater and it scares you the first 10 times, but you get used to it.

The convenience of running an additional hose needs to be considered with respect to the added complexity of the rig, the added chance of a hose failing and of course you need to be prepared to disconnect the thing should it fail, before all your breathing gas is lost.

I'm not running the additional hose right now on my current regulator, I somewhat switch back and forth to using it, they are really pretty reliable and handy.

I know several people who run an additional dedicated hose for the air nozzle on their regulators. It is especially handy for spearfisherman who may be sending up smb's attached to speared fish during the dive - often sending up 3 or 4 fish/smb's during a dive.. When a shark is circling, the quickness of this method is highly desirable. They are nice for lift bags as well, and it is probably less likely to get snagged on a lift bag/smb compared to a second stage or even a bc inflator.

Back
Top Bottom