Help me build a transfill whip.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
I see DGX has one for $145. Was thinking I could build one from scratch with parts for considerably less.

So this would be the only option?

Here is half a whip from my parts

004.JPG

I suppose it depends on your parts

The big question is what are you going to Fill & how often.

I use my transfill to top off / fill my tiny pony bottle every 4 dive trips {about 9 times a year}

And I also transfill my 13 pony which is used to pressurize my 2 dive regs in a soaking tub after every dive trip {about 40 trips a year, but refilled only when less than 1000psi}

So my custom built transfill whip hose is just 30 inches with bleed screws at both ends. No pressure gauge cause I already know what's in my tanks and where it will then end up. I spent $100 on mine.

It's very quick to use and setup, bleeds easily, and stores small. I still waste that 30" of hose air but it also was designed so the pony's stand up or lay down next to my LP120's . Best advice I can offer is draw it out on paper because it's nothing like a fill station and you really want it to be quick plus use your donor tank as cover with minimal air hose waste.

If you bought the parts idividually, it's going to be pretty close to $145. If you're going to be doing a lot of transfills or need to transfill fast, spend the $145.

If you already have 2 regulators (with 1 having 2 HP ports if you want to watch the pressure) and a spare HP hose, you only need the $2.50 adapter. It will trans fill slowly because of the restrictions on the HP ports and hose connector. If you're only going to transfill occaisionally, this is the way to go.

Later on when you transfill with your twin fill whip compressor or transfill with your booster, mixing gasses
you don't use a transfill whip

The DIN ends aren't cheap. NESS has some, ranging from $40 and up. A hose from McMaster is about $30. Then you still need a handful of NPT fittings, a gauge, etc.

If you're not in a rush and lurk the boards/FB classifieds, every now and then a whip comes up for about half of that.

Pirahna has the least expensive prices I've seen on whips. He also has a set price for free shipping, can't remember what it is though....$85 or $100?

Mr. Randy is great to order from.

The Piranha DIN-DIN at just 89.99 USD looks very hard to beat!

By comparison, on Amazon you find this one:
Screenshot-2021-12-25-130734.png

It is a DIN-DIN hose, with TWO DIN-to-INT adapters. Rated at 300 bars, and with a pressure gauge.
The total is 155 USD
Considering the cost of just the two adapters, also this looks a good price for me...

Yep Randy has always been good to me. I think I know were I'm getting one. Thanks guys!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom