Tech diving regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alanchang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, guys so I just got into tech diving and am not sure which regulator should I go with for my twin tank setup. The reg needs to have a removable cap because I am training with GUE and this is what they required. Been doing research myself for half a year now and still haven't decided. I know regulators now are all pretty good as long as they have a balanced piston/diaphragm and are the top-line product from a reputable company. However, regulators are important and I'd like to make sure I am getting the best.

So I am diving in Canada and will be doing ice diving. Regs need to be very cold water-resistant. And will probably be doing some pretty deep dive so it better be reliable. Here are the few options that I have, what's your opinion on this?

Halcyon H50+Halo: I am able to get this pretty cheap and I heard good things about halcyon reg. I know it's made by Scubapro but I heard this is an older version of Scubapro? Not many people in my area use Halcyon regulators. (Can get them serviced easily, not a big deal)(Not sure how good they're cold water)

Apeks DS4+XTX50: This is basically the cheapest option that I have now. Not sure how good they're. I heard Apeks first stage has a plastic diaphragm that's exposed to the environment and could get punctured. Not sure how was it.

Scubapro MK19EVO+G260: I heard this is basically the Halcyon but more expensive. In the second stage not sure if G260 is better or Halcyon Halo is better.

Thanks, guys. Really need some help here.

Hello, guys so I just got into tech diving and am not sure which regulator should I go with for my twin tank setup. The reg needs to have a removable cap because I am training with GUE and this is what they required. Been doing research myself for half a year now and still haven't decided. I know regulators now are all pretty good as long as they have a balanced piston/diaphragm and are the top-line product from a reputable company. However, regulators are important and I'd like to make sure I am getting the best.

So I am diving in Canada and will be doing ice diving. Regs need to be very cold water-resistant. And will probably be doing some pretty deep dive so it better be reliable. Here are the few options that I have, what's your opinion on this?

Halcyon H50+Halo: I am able to get this pretty cheap and I heard good things about halcyon reg. I know it's made by Scubapro but I heard this is an older version of Scubapro? Not many people in my area use Halcyon regulators. (Can get them serviced easily, not a big deal)(Not sure how good they're cold water)

Apeks DS4+XTX50: This is basically the cheapest option that I have now. Not sure how good they're. I heard Apeks first stage has a plastic diaphragm that's exposed to the environment and could get punctured. Not sure how was it.

Scubapro MK19EVO+G260: I heard this is basically the Halcyon but more expensive. In the second stage not sure if G260 is better or Halcyon Halo is better.

Thanks, guys. Really need some help here.

Halcyon regulators are simply rebranded Scubapros however Halcyon doesn’t have equivalent to MK19 (sealed diaphragm with turret).

Halcyon 75D is Scubapro MK25 and 50D is MK17.

I have used MK17, MK17 Evo, MK25 and MK19 Evo and all of them were bulletproof regulators.

Halcyon regulators are simply rebranded Scubapros however Halcyon doesn’t have equivalent to MK19 (sealed diaphragm with turret).

Halcyon 75D is Scubapro MK25 and 50D is MK17.

I have used MK17, MK17 Evo, MK25 and MK19 Evo and all of them were bulletproof regulators.
I never understand why people need that turret. I have an MK25 and I hate that turret a lot. I know it could come in handy on deco/stage tanks but I don't see the need to use them on back gas especially twin tank setup. BTW you have any experience with Apeks DS4 and XTX50?

You're over thinking this. Get a sealed diaphram first stage that provides the environment isolation that you need for ice diving.

Turret first stage, with one of their port in-line with the body of the first stage, provide optimum hose routing for back-mounted doubles. On deco/stage bottle, the turrets allows the hose to remain horizontal to the tank. It's cleaner in my opinion, but it might simply just be a preference and nothing truly impedes performance or procedures.

My niece uses DS4/TX50 (yea TX, not XTX) regulators for her back-mounted doubles. They breathe as well if not better than the MK25/S620 that I previously owned. The DS4 first stage creates sharp bends on the LP hoses. You need to inspect them regularly and replace them if any cracks develop.

If you don't want turrets for back gas, get Apeks FSR, which has a 5th port (buddy uses this setup). If you changed your mind and want turrets, the Apeks DST, SP MK19, Deep6 Signature first stages have sealed diaphram design. Sherwood has a sealed piston design as well (someone please explain that one, I don't quite understand how the ambient pressure is transmitted to the piston). Also, you can get an Atomic regulator and sealed the first stage. This does require Christolube and increases your maintenance cost at each service interval.

O.

I never understand why people need that turret. I have an MK25 and I hate that turret a lot. I know it could come in handy on deco/stage tanks but I don't see the need to use them on back gas especially twin tank setup. BTW you have any experience with Apeks DS4 and XTX50?

Long hose deployment as well as the sidemount diving hence your hose points down when stowed and points upwards when pulled.

It is convenience.

I have twin Apeks DSTs, with twin XTX50s. I dive in the PNW, and have plenty of friends who dive Apeks, Halcyon or Scubapro, with no real differences between them. The turrets have never been a problem for me, and I like the conveniences they give, and I got the 5th port adapter added. Not sure if the DS4 can have that added, but 5th ports make hose routing much cleaner regardless of brand. The diaphragm isn't exposed on the Apeks reg, the plastic is the environmental seal. If it is punctured, it is still breathable underwater, just needs a service.

All that to say, go with a reg thats a good price with good maintenance support in your region.

The Halcyon is not really a G260, closer to a G250 or G250HP, but it has the lineage of the G250 regardless. It is a fine regulator as is the real thing, the G250. Of which there are plenty out there to be had. I just bought a G260 with Mark 17 Evo, brand new, got a good price on it so snapped it up. My first brand new regulator in a while excluding a Core DIN Supreme I got so cheap I could not pass it up back in the summer. My best performing G250 (a 87 Graphite) cracks at .8+, it is on a new Mark 20 that I converted to Mark 25 specs. On my Magnehelic the new G260 is cracking at 1.2 inches. My other three G250s break around 1.0 to 1.2 inches. I do not have any tuned especially hot but for the Graphite. Of course I am sure I can tune on the G260 a bit and get it better but I am not motivated to break into a brand new regulator before I even get it wet. Well, okay, I did take a peek inside :wink:.

James

Right post, for the 7' host, a turret gives you maximal extension if you need to share gas while going single file without risking pinching the hose.

All reputable regulators will breathe the same if properly tuned (at least, you won't be able to tell the difference).
Diaphragm on Apeks regs is not open to elements, so can't really be punctured by those. If environmental seal is punctured, you will lose depth compensation, but reg will continue to work.
So,for Apeks DS4, only your perception whether turret is needed or not will decide how good it is for you.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom