Frogman drysuit first impression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, you can order both with replaceable neck and wrist seals.
Out of curiosity, why no p-valve again?
While relief zipper is easier to use (no pre-set procedure), I usualy have to go during deco, not once on the boat.
I do not tec dive anymore and no longer have long deco hangs :) Less hassle :D

Thank you both, @vladodessit and @admikar, very much!! Sorry to hijack the thread at all....carry on :)

Oh and....reading the posts above....in the Frogman vs Seaskin question, it appears this is true?

Frogman is better quality, more robust materials...but a bit more expensive
Seaskin is less expensive...but the materials are a little less durable

That about sum it up?

Thanks guys.. was on the wrong link for some reason.

Like vioch said, Frogman has variety of suit models. From very light Travel (super light but is going to wear faster) to a heavy Armor model that is Kevlar trilam material. Also, they could combine technologies from different models for you (let's say, they could do more robust Tech/Armor seam technology on a lighter weight Travel suit). In my strong opinion, Frogman is a better made suit than the excellent value and super cheap Sea Skin.

Like vioch said, Frogman has variety of suit models. From very light Travel (super light but is going to wear faster) to a heavy Armor model that is Kevlar trilam material. Also, they could combine technologies from different models for you (let's say, they could do more robust Tech/Armor seam technology on a lighter weight Travel suit). In my strong opinion, Frogman is a better made suit than the excellent value and super cheap Sea Skin.

You have them both, so you are the resident expert on this. But, I cannot help wondering if anyone here is aware of people wearing out a Seaskin and, by contrast, a Frogman lasting longer.

Saying that one is better made or higher quality than the other is, I *think*, a way of expressing the idea that one will fit better or hold up better/last longer than the other. Informed opinions based on examining both are very valuable when there is no actual data on those things. But, in the end, it still boils down to an educated guess on which one will fit better or be more durable, yes?

If anyone reading this can share any anecdotes on Seaskin or Frogman fit issues or failures, I would love to read about them.

Personally, my Seaskin trilam is now over 3 years old and still works like new. I don't even think I have had to replace a wrist seal. I have swapped back and forth between silicone and neoprene neck seals, but by choice, not necessity. I think it is starting to show a little bit of fraying at the end of the sleeves, where the Kubi rings are glued in. But, it's just an occasional stray thread of the trilam material that pokes out. The red may be a little faded compared to new. Otherwise, no leaks at all (knock on wood). The seams still look in perfect condition. The zipper is starting to look a bit worn. I won't be surprised if it needs a new one in the next year.

Other suits may be "better made", but there's a point where I wonder how much benefit there is from being made "better" than a Seaskin trilam.

You have them both, so you are the resident expert on this. But, I cannot help wondering if anyone here is aware of people wearing out a Seaskin and, by contrast, a Frogman lasting longer.

Saying that one is better made or higher quality than the other is, I *think*, a way of expressing the idea that one will fit better or hold up better/last longer than the other. Informed opinions based on examining both are very valuable when there is no actual data on those things. But, in the end, it still boils down to an educated guess on which one will fit better or be more durable, yes?

If anyone reading this can share any anecdotes on Seaskin or Frogman fit issues or failures, I would love to read about them.

Personally, my Seaskin trilam is now over 3 years old and still works like new. I don't even think I have had to replace a wrist seal. I have swapped back and forth between silicone and neoprene neck seals, but by choice, not necessity. I think it is starting to show a little bit of fraying at the end of the sleeves, where the Kubi rings are glued in. But, it's just an occasional stray thread of the trilam material that pokes out. The red may be a little faded compared to new. Otherwise, no leaks at all (knock on wood). The seams still look in perfect condition. The zipper is starting to look a bit worn. I won't be surprised if it needs a new one in the next year.

Other suits may be "better made", but there's a point where I wonder how much benefit there is from being made "better" than a Seaskin trilam.
My trilam Seaskin is at least 7 years old, I’ve done a few repairs on the feet, the quick neck came loose and I glued it back with aquaseal, had the zipper replaced with a TiZip, to get a plastic zipper to try since the brass was leaking (Seaskin doesn’t make the zippers so that doesn’t reflect on them, plastic zips weren’t an option then) the only failure that can be their fault would be the neck leak but that can happen to any suit maker and was actually easy to fix, I wouldn’t pay the shipping to any maker for this failure to have them do the repair even in the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom