Typhoon Odette Effect on a Coral Reef in Dauin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klausi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We took an informal look at the coral reef in Poblacion, Dauin, Negros Oriental, Philippines, 3 days after typhoon Odette passed the area. We found a large amount of fine silt on the corals down to 23 meters, and severely reduced water clarity. In the shallows we found lots of plant material, and some broken Acropora corals (often right next to intact ones), with the massive corals completely intact even as shallow as 1 meter. The fish life seemed un-bothered by the situation.

Significant effects, but the reef in this marine protected area will recover!

Thank you for sharing the video and the info.
I assume the effects on the reef around Apo island would be similar?
I've been waiting for reports re. damage on reefs in Sogod Bay. The shallow gardens in 4m and up close to shore, on the West side of the Bay, was told that were completely gone😭

I've been waiting for reports re. damage on reefs in Sogod Bay. The shallow gardens in 4m and up close to shore, on the West side of the Bay, was told that were completely gone😭
A friend of mine had gone to Apo since, but she didn't film or photograph. It seems there is some damage, but not catastrophic. The east/west sides of Apo could have been hit quite differently, as it happened during Sendong 10 years ago.

Greetings from Southern Leyte. We have a more thorough survey of the area, South East and West, planned for later this month. I'll follow up on the board shortly thereafter.

Still no running water. Still no power. Still no reliable internet.
I can't imagine the hardship there, even before the infrastructure was so inadequate, now after some patch work it'll be even worse.

I hope all the folks in Leyte and Samar are on their road to recovery after the storm.
Dauin/Dumaguete is almost 100% back to normal now, a month after the typhoon, still a few toppled trees here and there, but power and internet are all back. The north/center of Negros Oriental, around Bais, was hit much harder, with humanitarian help still keeping some communities afloat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom