Tour operators start ban on full-face snorkel masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread had been dead since pre-Covid.

Here's the problem I see with these full-face snorkeling masks. They are presented as a mask that you don't need any training to use. They are marketed as using "normal breathing." Well, most people breathe normally through their nose, and very, very shallowly. (See the chart below; tibal volume is about 0.5 liters, and that is "normal breathing".) That does allow for CO2 buildup.

'Just a thought.

SeaRat

Attachments

• USN Lung Volume001.jpg
    USN Lung Volume001.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 53
Here's the problem I see with these full-face snorkeling masks. They are presented as a mask that you don't need any training to use. They are marketed as using "normal breathing." Well, most people breathe normally through their nose, and very, very shallowly. (See the chart below; tibal volume is about 0.5 liters, and that is "normal breathing".) That does allow for CO2 buildup.
Followed by a normal and repetitive deep inspiration that is triggered by CO2 buildup. I question the 'comfort' of not involving the mouth in this autonomic response.

I see a disconnect. Are we talking full face or just nasal snorkel masks?

Followed by a normal and repetitive deep inspiration that is triggered by CO2 buildup. I question the 'comfort' of not involving the mouth in this autonomic response.

I see a disconnect. Are we talking full face or just nasal snorkel masks?
Full face snorkel masks; I think David Rickie Wilson was being a bit factious when showing a regular mask with a snorkel. I don't think such a mask exists.

John

Full face snorkel masks; I think David Rickie Wilson was being a bit factious when showing a regular mask with a snorkel. I don't think such a mask exists.

John
John, I assure you I managed to Google up that half-face mask with built-in snorkel a year or so ago and it was on sale back then. Sadly, I omitted to record any details other than an image of the model and it is no longer online. Perhaps it didn't sell when every other snorkel-mask was a full-face design, or perhaps it didn't really work and therefore was removed from the market. Who knows?

For me, the key issue is serving a special-needs population who find a conventional snorkel mouthpiece intrusive in the mouth, triggering the gagging reflex and/or rubbing the lips and gums raw when all the surface swimmer wants to do is to spend time face down watching the sea bed and breathing atmospheric air through a tube as many spearfishers of yesteryear used to do when stalking prey.
1640067250573.png
Perhaps the answer to the requirements of this population is a separate snorkel with some sort of replacement for the intrusive flanged mouthpiece. Finswimmers use frontal snorkels (above) without the normal flange that may be the cause of the gagging and/or oral abrasion, so this may be a new avenue to explore for those people who can't cope with flanged and lugged mouthpieces....

I've seen people using a right hand circular saw with their left hand and losing fingers
I've seen people operating bolt action rifles on their right shoulder with their left hand
I've seen people on the beach half of whom shouldn't have been within 100 miles of it.

And drowned ones so what's new

1640077886708.png

I've seen people using a right hand circular saw with their left hand and losing fingers
I've seen people operating bolt action rifles on their right shoulder with their left hand
I've seen people on the beach half of whom shouldn't have been within 100 miles of it.

And drowned ones so what's new

View attachment 696626

And here I thought David Richie Wilson was playing around with Photoshop! Thanks for the link too. My apologies, DRW!

SeaRat

Perhaps the answer to the requirements of this population is a separate snorkel with some sort of replacement for the intrusive flanged mouthpiece. Finswimmers use frontal snorkels (above) without the normal flange that may be the cause of the gagging and/or oral abrasion, so this may be a new avenue to explore for those people who can't cope with flanged and lugged mouthpieces....

Not sure about that: all swimming snorkels I've seen in the wild have a mouthpiece; looking at google pix, the ratio seems to be 50/50 at best. The main problem with them is the goggles: competitive finswimmers use the half-mask that covers the nose, half the swimmer-swimmers have to use nose clips. (One of these days I may get me one of them and see if I can use it without sucking chlorine all the way into my sinuses -- much as I'm used to it, I still don't enjoy the experience.

PS. you shouldn't equate competitive swimmers with people who have problems with snorkelling, in any kind of mask.

Back
Top Bottom