Poseidon Cyklon Service Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love the Cyklon, I just serviced a 30 year old one and cracking pressure is just under 1" H2O. This thing breathes like a dream. Pretty awesome for a design that goes back to 1958!

Screenshot_20211224-163151_Write on PDF.jpg

WOB looks like it meets the current CE standard all the way to 165 feet. This from a regulator introduced decades ago. Pretty damned cool.

Sorry for the late response, here are some updates on the project:

I was able to remove the yoke adapter from the din setup by putting the din screw in my vice equipped with soft jaws. I put a wrench on the yoke adapter and it came off with very little force. Just had to get some leverage!

I received another Cyklon today which is in good condition as well. Second stage disassembled no problem. Some little goober mustve either used an impact wrench or just been an idiot and destroyed the threads on one port. I think the first stage was a 2801, the balance chamber at the bottom was what I used to identify it in the schematics.

I’ll just break down the first stage into parts and try to repair the Cyklon 2305 first stage.

At least the second stages are functioning and able to be repaired with relative ease. Some new seats and diaphragms as well as orifices should make them good as new.

At this point, I’ll throw the Cyklon seconds onto a Conshelf Supreme and tune the IP. That’ll be a combo good enough for the coldest Canadian waters.

Erik

Here’s the first and second stages.

Erik

Attachments

• CDF29ABE-DE09-4D5E-822E-95A93B033807.jpeg
    CDF29ABE-DE09-4D5E-822E-95A93B033807.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 113
Does anyone happen to have a spare pin for the Cyklon 300 laying around? It is part 2182, position 7 on the diagram. Interestingly it is labeled as a valve needle. PM me if you have one and we can work out a deal for the pin.

Erik

Does anyone happen to have a spare pin for the Cyklon 300 laying around? It is part 2182, position 7 on the diagram. Interestingly it is labeled as a valve needle. PM me if you have one and we can work out a deal for the pin.

Erik
Erik, I have one available. PM me your address and it's yours -- even though it is quite hefty to ship (heh, heh, heh) . . .

Erik, I have one available. PM me your address and it's yours -- even though it is quite hefty to ship (heh, heh, heh) . . .
PM sent! Haha, that pin is certainly made of lead!

Erik

Yes, very little has changed, in terms of the Cyklon -- some updated silicone / polymer materials and some added complexity to the first stages; that, and a slightly lowered IP. The 300 once allowed for a maximum pressure of 12.5 bar, which has since been lowered to 12; and the other Cyklon models, to about 11.5 (at 20 bar).

In the photo, below, that uppermost, metallic second stage valve, dates from the 1960s; and the other, with the white ejector sleeve, from the early 1990s . . .
Is that a 40mm gasmask / full face adaptor tube?? And if so - where do I get one?
Hold that thought - the ejector sleeve on the lower 2nd stage valve looks like metal - what's up with that?
(same comment as above - where to get one or 5)... ? :)

There's also a cheaper route, through Scuba Clinic, that was reviewed, earlier this year:

Some can also manage to use a flat screwdriver or dissecting probe to fit the ring. I was shamed into trying it again, a while back, successfully; but managed to bloody myself once or twice . . .
I bought the "press" tool from divestore in Estonia when they were still legit... BUT before, I used a short wide flat screwdriver, BUT rested the metal housing in the second stage exhaust (but upside down) . Start in the middle of the clip and work around each side. You can also start on one side and work around, but I found the diaphragm might sit a little bit off center when doing that. And yes - wear leather gloves...

Is that a 40mm gasmask / full face adaptor tube?? And if so - where do I get one?
Hold that thought - the ejector sleeve on the lower 2nd stage valve looks like metal - what's up with that?
(same comment as above - where to get one or 5)... ? :)

Yes, that was what was once known as an "exchanging mouthpiece for a full-face mask (#1216)," with "gas-mask thread," which predated Poseidon's own Atmosphere FFM by years; and, ironically could never be used with it. I had it attached to a black rubber mask, of some Eastern European make, which has since rotted; though a friend has since told me that it can still be used with ScubaPro's FFM. So far as I know, 1216 hasn't been available for decades; and when last I saw it advertised, it was in an older user's manual for the Cyklon 300 -- and those were discontinued, back in 1993.

That ejector sleeve was, once, indeed metal; though I don't precisely know when Poseidon went with that white then black plastic alternative. It was affixed in a similar fashion, but was held on and kept in proper tension, by a blind-screw sized o-ring, at the tip. That second stage, I believe, dated from the late 1960s; and works just as well as any Cyklon second stage manufactured today . . .

Attachments

• 61029F9D-D070-453A-9DA2-D55D4635AA14.jpeg
    61029F9D-D070-453A-9DA2-D55D4635AA14.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 867AFC81-F4E6-455C-A49D-9D7102D33B48.jpeg
    867AFC81-F4E6-455C-A49D-9D7102D33B48.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 98
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom