Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:heart::heart::heart: tiger gobies!!!!

Loved the shopping carts before the snorkel trail was put in. Still will check them out once in a while, but no longer a destination.

@Pipehorse where you at the bridge this morning? West side? Saw someone with a slate...

@Pipehorse where you at the bridge this morning? West side? Saw someone with a slate...

I was passing by just before high tide on Pura Vida. I was surprised the bridge wasn’t busier. Beautiful morning. Too early for most I guess.

I was passing by just before high tide on Pura Vida. I was surprised the bridge wasn’t busier. Beautiful morning. Too early for most I guess.
I have no hard data to prove this, just anecdotal observation. I think last year at this time for those that wanted to scuba dive BHB became a prime choice, or perhaps the only choice. International travel was very much curtailed, the vaccine was just becoming available so it was not widespread yet, and dive boats were doing social distancing so that getting a space on a boat became difficult. I think with all those factors alleviated it has taken the edge off the crowds at BHB. Not just from divers, also from beach goers in general.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0655 for a 0742 high tide. The park was not crowded. Entered the west side at 0715. Sea temp still holding at 78F. Visibility was 30ft. Observed a large Lionfish near the first group of the bridge pilings. I believe I have seen it before, but usually it is upside down and deep inside the piling in the shadows. It must have been out because of early morning low light. Observed a Manatee, but it was on the move so not a good photo opportunity. Observed the largest school of Chub (Brassy and Gray) I have ever seen at the bridge and also a Black Margate. I know, what is the big deal about a Black Margate? Checking the REEF database, Black Margate is only seen 7% of the time for 2000 surveys at Phil Foster Park, compared to 31% for Florida as a whole for 42,000 surveys. Apparently ran in too (see a few post above) @Scuba_Jenny but did not know it at the time. It is always interesting to see what the Variegated Sea Urchins will have attached to themselves, found one today with a small tied off bundle of line. Did a REEF fish count, 69 species in 60 minutes. Respectively, Black Margate, Lionfish, pair of Orangespotted Goby, Variegated Sea Urchin, Chub Video, and Nurse Shark Video. Believe the Nurse Shark was hunting for a very injured Sheepshead hiding itself in the rocks.
12-18-21 Black Margate1.jpeg
12-18-21 Lionfish.jpeg
12-18-21 Orange Sport Goby.jpeg
12-18-21 Vareigated Sea Urchin.jpeg

I think the early morning tide, the cooler weather, and season is the reason. When we pulled up the east side was busy, went west. Only 2 vehicles.. Yep, we be diving the west.

FWIW, a post showed up on my memories on FB a couple days ago from last year. It was a photo of the parking lot on a weekend morning. Buddy and I had the place to our selves. Not another diver to be found. We had to double check the tides, thought we had it wrong. Nope. Kinda weird not another person there.
Yes that was me, were you looking at the Yellowhead Jawfish?
Yep, that would be me..
You are welcome, IMHO they are very graceful swimmers.
Agree

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0715 for a 0824 high tide. About the same as yesterday in terms of people, not crowded. Visibility was 30ft, but a little more cloudiness than yesterday. Sea temperature still holding up at 78F. Observed a Goliath Grouper in the boat channel, video attached is not that great because of water quality, and not following him into the channel. Respectively, Black Grouper getting its gills cleaned, Sand Perch close up, Hogfish with a shadow hunter, and Goliath Grouper video.

12-19-21 Black Grouper.jpeg
12-19-21 Sand Perch.jpeg
12-19-21 Shadow Hunting.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom