Bali opening?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And this is not going to change until they drop their inane quarantine procedures for fully vaxed & boosted passengers. Pretty clear Indonesia does not want tourists back...

Inane, really what is so inane about a low income country with a huge population and limited health care wanting to make a responsible attempt to reduce the amount of COVID or related variants from spreading via overseas travelers entering the country. I think its pretty clear Indonesia cares about its countries people staying alive and healthy vs opening up tourism for such a small minimal amount of financial gain. Remember there is A LOT more to Indonesia than Bali and diving tourism in 2019 (when tourism was booming) only 4.97% of Indonesia's GDP. This is nothing.

Since Indonesia and the US have some what similar population sizes let compare them. Inane quarantine vs. no quarantine

Lets look at the facts from the WHO website. As of the time I am writing this post In Indonesia, from 3 January 2020 to 5:51pm CET, 16 December 2021, there have been 4,259,857 confirmed cases of COVID-19 with 143,979 deaths

In United States of America
, from 3 January 2020 to 5:51pm CET, 16 December 2021, there have been 49,833,416 confirmed cases of COVID-19 with 792,371 deaths

Indonesia has a population of 278 million and the US has a population of 334 million. 0.237% of the United States has died from COVID vs Indonesia's 0.0518% That is a crazy huge difference

So tell me based on the numbers how "Inane" is Indonesia's quarantine vs. the US's no quarantine. Does not seem like its working out very well for them. Last time I flew to the US from Asia in June I literally just walked out of the airport and went to a crazy busy restaurant and no one was wearing mask nor was I asked to wear one and I could freely cough and sneeze all over anyone. So you tell me how would you feel if I flew directly from overseas and sat next to you and your family enjoying a nice Sunday dinner knowing that I am fresh off several planes? Honestly this seems a little crazy if you ask me that stuff like this can happen. We have 2 years of information about the transmission of COVID and that fully vaccinated with booster shot still get COVID or can transmit it and yet if I were to fly into the US right now from overseas I could just go to mass public gathering with strangers who have no clue where I have been hours after getting off the plane. Honestly I think if all those stranger knew were I had been I really don't think they would be very comfortable being close to me. Ask you self would you be?

Take a look at what New Zealand has done and look at their numbers.

So tell me based on the numbers how "Inane" is Indonesia's quarantine vs. the US's no quarantine. Does not seem like its working out very well for them

I suppose if your only measure of success is that death rate, you have a solid point. Personally, I think quality of life, and issues surrounding personal liberty, need to be weighed as well. The public policy debate is where do we draw that line.

Indonesia has a population of 278 million and the US has a population of 334 million. 0.237% of the United States has died from COVID vs Indonesia's 0.0518% That is a crazy huge difference
That is big (nearly 4-fold difference) and I don't know the range of causation. A couple of factors may account for part of the difference. I consulted the Wikipedia articles on Indonesia and the United States, and from their respective Demographics sections:

1.) "The country currently possesses a relatively young population, with a median age of 30.2 years (2017 estimate).[76]"

2.) "In 2020, the median age of the United States population was 38.5 years.[391]"

I don't have a comparative figure for obesity rates, but the U.S. is considered chubby compared to much of the rest of the world. Older age and obesity are serious risk factors. You could argue U.S. health care might be more advanced overall (I'm speculating, maybe it's not), but then again with our obesity issues (disclaimer: I'm fat), diabetes and other risk factors are likely higher, too. But we had wider access earlier on to vaccination. How comparatively reliable are each country's testing result numbers?

I'm not arguing your point. I think the differences in fatality rates amongst different countries are interesting.

That is big (nearly 4-fold difference) and I don't know the range of causation. A couple of factors may account for part of the difference. I consulted the Wikipedia articles on Indonesia and the United States, and from their respective Demographics sections:

1.) "The country currently possesses a relatively young population, with a median age of 30.2 years (2017 estimate).[76]"

2.) "In 2020, the median age of the United States population was 38.5 years.[391]"

I don't have a comparative figure for obesity rates, but the U.S. is considered chubby compared to much of the rest of the world. Older age and obesity are serious risk factors. You could argue U.S. health care might be more advanced overall (I'm speculating, maybe it's not), but then again with our obesity issues (disclaimer: I'm fat), diabetes and other risk factors are likely higher, too. But we had wider access earlier on to vaccination. How comparatively reliable are each country's testing result numbers?

I'm not arguing your point. I think the differences in fatality rates amongst different countries are interesting.
In Indonesia people have been very reluctant to have family members who died to be registered as Covid-19 patients, because they would not be able to perform the rituals for the funeral. Excess mortality data, if registered properly, could tell us much more. Maybe it is impossible to compare Indonesia with the US anyway. For example, vitamin D deficiency could play a big role. After the more or less optimistic messages from South Africa I got this for my morning coffee: Omicron more likely to reinfect than Delta, no milder -study

Inane, really what is so inane about a low income country with a huge population and limited health care wanting to make a responsible attempt to reduce the amount of COVID or related variants from spreading via overseas travelers entering the country. I think its pretty clear Indonesia cares about its countries people staying alive and healthy vs opening up tourism for such a small minimal amount of financial gain. Remember there is A LOT more to Indonesia than Bali and diving tourism in 2019 (when tourism was booming) only 4.97% of Indonesia's GDP. This is nothing.

Since Indonesia and the US have some what similar population sizes let compare them. Inane quarantine vs. no quarantine

Lets look at the facts from the WHO website. As of the time I am writing this post In Indonesia, from 3 January 2020 to 5:51pm CET, 16 December 2021, there have been 4,259,857 confirmed cases of COVID-19 with 143,979 deaths

In United States of America
, from 3 January 2020 to 5:51pm CET, 16 December 2021, there have been 49,833,416 confirmed cases of COVID-19 with 792,371 deaths

So tell me based on the numbers how "Inane" is Indonesia's quarantine vs. the US's no quarantine. Does not seem like its working out very well for them. Last time I flew to the US from Asia in June I literally just walked out of the airport and went to a crazy busy restaurant and no one was wearing mask nor was I asked to wear one and I could freely cough and sneeze all over anyone. So you tell me how would you feel if I flew directly from overseas and sat next to you and your family enjoying a nice Sunday dinner knowing that I am fresh off several planes? Honestly this seems a little crazy if you ask me that stuff like this can happen. We have 2 years of information about the transmission of COVID and that fully vaccinated with booster shot still get COVID or can transmit it and yet if I were to fly into the US right now from overseas I could just go to mass public gathering with strangers who have no clue where I have been hours after getting off the plane. Honestly I think if all those stranger knew were I had been I really don't think they would be very comfortable being close to me. Ask you self would you be?

Take a look at what New Zealand has done and look at their numbers.
Indonesia can do what it wants as as a sovereign country. Clearly, bringing back tourism is not their priority.

Nevertheless, be careful with comparing numbers - population compositions, age range, access to testing and medical treatment, and just basic availability for reliable numbers means it is very difficult to head to head compare countries.

In any case, COVID is not going anywhere, best we can do is vaccinate, boost and live our lives.

Wait til I tell you what Indonesians have to do to be able to visit Europe or USA even without a pandemic - proof of $$ in the bank, ownership of land, certified documents galore, The visa application forms and interviews omg. It's very clear USA, Australia, Europe don't want Indonesian tourists....

Personal liberties is fine in western countries where families let their families be homeless in the streets. Indonesians don't, if anyone got sick/died it's the family's problem.

once again .....

1643700638374.png

once again .....

“Vaccinated visitors will still need to undergo five to seven days of quarantine. They have the option of staying in five different hotels and six live-on-board ships with Clean Health Safety Environment (CHSE) certifications from the Tourism Ministry.”

👆 Some improvement.

Only for 19 countries & USA is not listed. Thanks to the anti-vaxxers. LOL

1. Bahrain
2. China
3. Hungaria
4. India
5. Italia
6. Jepang (Japan)
7. Korea Selatan (South Korea)
8. Kuwait
9. Liechstein
10. Norwegia