Immigration Changes in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that doesn't sound right

that doesn't sound right
No, it doesn't. The article makes it sound like you can book a two week stay on the island and the agent in the kiosk can tell you that you can only stay for a week because he just doesn't like your looks, and that the policia are roaming the streets stopping people who don't look like locals and demanding to see their papers. I don't think that either of those things is remotely true.

Well, They ask you how long are you staying.

We did the electronic FMM that auto fills 180 days. They asked us how long we were staying. We said 3 weeks. He crossed out the 180 and wrote 30.

Have heard people staying longer (180) being reduced to 90. They are trying to eliminate the turnstile 180 day resident.

They are trying to eliminate the turnstile 180 day resident.
What would be behind that? Is it a covid thing, or are there deeper political currents at work? Do the mexican locals not like temporary tourists who never seem to leave?

I arrived on December 8 for a week. I had...
  1. My Tourist Card form filled out in advance from: Mexico Tourist Card
  2. A blank Customs form I printed out in advance and filled out by hand since those are restricted online to three days and I have my daughter print and mail to me: Inicio (Can I go thru Customs again? I want to get to know that gorgeous agent!)
  3. My Passport.
I did keep photos of my Passport and Tourist Card on my phone and kept that with me almost all of the time, aside from the time that I left it on a bench near a pier and had to go back for it. The folks there were nice about keeping it for me.

I heard here that I needed an online Health questionnaire from Vuela Seguro as well as my Covid negative test no more than one day old. I did that form and had the funny-looking coded symbol ready, but I think that the agent said it had already been attached to my reservation.

We were stopped in a taxi heading to a beach club without papers and harassed for half an hour by the local authorities...I just stopped replying to their concerns and they told us to go...and we did.

No, it doesn't. The article makes it sound like you can book a two week stay on the island and the agent in the kiosk can tell you that you can only stay for a week because he just doesn't like your looks, and that the policia are roaming the streets stopping people who don't look like locals and demanding to see their papers. I don't think that either of those things is remotely true.
There is an Immigration checkpoint daily on the road south to the marinas and beach clubs in Cozumel now.
U.S. Citizens in Cozumel must carry their resident identification cards at all times.

Actions to Take
• Obtain entry permit (FMM) at INM office if entering Mexico through a land border and traveling beyond the immediate border area.
• Carry your passport and entry permit (FMM) with you.
• For U.S. citizens who reside in Mexico, carry your resident identification card.

From my limited knowledge talking to expats, they FMM was not supposed to ge used to get around the temporary responsibility rules, but it us use to do that.

Teleworking from other countries has exploded and they are also using tge FMM 180 DAY to get around rules.

Their are also some expats who ignore the 180 rule altogether and pay a fine when leaving the country (cheaper than leaving and comming back).

Back
Top Bottom