reg leaking - normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

racerx_

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i've got an aqualung titan lx reg that's worked pretty great for quite a few years. the last coupel of years though its seemed to have some issues not too long after servicing. I haven't been able to dive a lot, so its' not getting much wear and tear but it seems like in less than a year the second stage starts leaking the last couple of times, or freeflowing excessively easily. is there anything in a reg that can just "wear out" and this will be a constant issue over time? my understanding was all the key parts are generally gettign rebuilt when its serviced. or is this just a lousy servicing?

More than likely just needs adjusting. Nothing wrong with the reg -- any parts that wear out are replaced in overhaul.

It's not usual for a regulator to start doing that a short while after servicing. It just needs to be adjusted. It's usually caused by the settling in of a seat.

If it's been alomst a year, the service tech will want you get a full servicing done even if it hasn't been used a lot. If it's just after a servicing, the thech will probably do the adjustment for free. It doesn't take a lot of time to make an adjustment.

thanks for the quick replies. especially with covid, not a lot of diving done. so it's super annoying to service after using it 3 times or something but yeah i'll send it in

You really should consider to get to the 'Dark Side' here in the forum and learn the basics of 2nd stage adjustment.
Since your 2nd started to free flow more or less right after service, chances are that the 2nd was adjusted just a bit too fine and the grooving of your orifice into the new LP Seat while laying around or being used has become so deep, that the valve doesn't close anymore correctly.
If your shop doesn't use a seat in machine or cycles your fresh serviced reg not often enough that can happen easily.
To adjust that is really easy and would be probably worth a try instead of sending the reg around.
If interested, lots of knowledgeable people here in the forum could guide you through this one minute procedure......

thanks for the quick replies. especially with covid, not a lot of diving done. so it's super annoying to service after using it 3 times or something but yeah i'll send it in
What @axxel57 said.
If, as most of us suspect, it's just the seat taking a bit of a set then it's a 3 minute job with a screwdriver (and a couple wrenches to take the hose off). Feel free to reach out to on of us to talk you through it if needed. Probably just needs the orifice turned in 1/8 turn or so (called the crown in the parts diagram).

Respectfully

James

Attachments

• Titan LX_Legend 2nd Stg Repair Manual.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 83
The lp seat settling in is most likely the cause, but it could also be IP creep. Unless the OP is really interested in learning a lot more about reg problem diagnosis and tuning, it's probably best that he take to a trained technician.

My go to regulator and the one I trust the most to always work is a Titan LX I bought in 2008. I have overhauled it once. Of course I did the work. The Titan LX fist stage is a Conshelf type with a replaceable volcano orifice. If you have the Supreme (sealed) version this first stage can go years between service as long as you do the "Regulators Checklist" and check IP.

The Titan LX second stage is a high performance non-adjustable (no knob) pneumatic balanced unit and is basically the same as the Legend minus the adjustment knob. It is a solid second stage and can also go long intervals without service if you rinse and soak appropriately after use.

Most likely the seat has taken a set and without the adjustment knob you cannot run it in to compensate. As the others have said, this is easy to fix and is sort of normal. What is normal on a serviced reg is to set the reg up a little tight knowing the seat will take a set. It is kind of a guess and either the tech guessed wrong or he did not account for break-in at all.

Here is the PL, Item 24 is the seat, the likely culprit that needs adjustment by screwing the orifice, Item 18, in about 1/16 turn.

The Legend and Titan LX (which became the Core) are top performing regulators, the equal of anything on the market and all are super reliable.

Other likely possibilities, it needs a new seat, it needs a new orifice. I would turn the orifice in a 1/16 turn at a time. If by 1/4 turn it has not stopped leaking, well, it may need those things replaced. Items 25, 26 and 28 could be at fault but that is much less likely

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom