New Cruise Pier Approved

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not that many cruseros dive, at least from what I have seen. If you are seeing more divers than usual, on morning dives, anyway, IMO it's unlikely that it's due to divers from cruise ships.
Agreed. I was at Julio Kin's dive shop a few weeks ago, which is right across from the south pier. There were 3 ships at the pier that morning and I mentioned to him that he was probably glad to see them in town that day. The response was a shrug of the shoulders and an explanation that they get very few, if any, divers off of the cruise ships on most days.

I think the local government is doing what the local people want. I just left coz on Sunday for my fourth trip to the island. Every single taxi cab driver, store owner, waiter, hotel staff people ect…. I spoke to was in huge favor of more ships coming to the island. I don’t know if they really care about the destruction to the ocean or not. What I know is, the diving for us last week was extremely crowded on the reefs. Constantly bumping into groups upon groups of other divers coupled with large groups of snorkelers as well. I’m in no hurry back. Not sure if I can attribute this solely to cruisers but nonetheless…
No, you just happened to be in contact with the small percentage of the population that do benefit from them. I lived and owned a business on the island for 20 years until last year, and trust me, this is not the overall feeling on the island.

No, you just happened to be in contact with the small percentage of the population that do benefit from them. I lived and owned a business on the island for 20 years until last year, and trust me, this is not the overall feeling on the island.
An old friend of ours who had run a shop on the island for over 30 years disgustedly remarked to me, "Cozumel is a whore" when I asked him what he thought about cruise ships. That was 15 years ago; shortly thereafter he moved to Merida and we never saw him again.

The reefs did seem crowded this past week. I had to avoid following the wrong group at times. We counted 30 nearby boats after finishing a site.

As far as the barges, I do think that they're the worst aspect on the island. I am sad that the political powers keep selling out to them.

The reefs did seem crowded this past week. I had to avoid following the wrong group at times. We counted 30 nearby boats after finishing a site.

As far as the barges, I do think that they're the worst aspect on the island. I am sad that the political powers keep selling out to them.
The golden rule: Them with the gold makes the rules.

Exactly Ggunn - I often say the island continues selling its soul

Looks like they have been building the terminal part on land for months.

No question the Pier would be approved.

Looks like they have been building the terminal part on land for months.

No question the Pier would be approved.
That's a condo building

Re the crowded reef diving. That and the chilly water/air is why I don't go in winter (aka high season) anymore. Yes I miss the eagle rays, but I don't miss feeling like all of us divers are at the same location.

Back
Top Bottom