Tg-6 Strobe Upgrade from Video Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bearkeley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, desperately research strobes for my husbands new TG6 setup. He has been happy with TG4 with video lights but with his new TG6, I’d like to get him strobes for underwater macro. I’ve read about TTL, etc but frankly so confused! Can someone pls help me identify decent options under $500? Thinking a camera mount so he can keep video lights on tray. He mentioned a ring light but not sure if that is a good option. Thanks!

Hi, desperately research strobes for my husbands new TG6 setup. He has been happy with TG4 with video lights but with his new TG6, I’d like to get him strobes for underwater macro. I’ve read about TTL, etc but frankly so confused! Can someone pls help me identify decent options under $500? Thinking a camera mount so he can keep video lights on tray. He mentioned a ring light but not sure if that is a good option. Thanks!
Look at www.backscatter.com and then look at what they have under Compact Cameras. When looking at strobes remember you have to include the optical cable too, and some kind of tray with connectors to hold the strobe. If you want to stay all inclusive in your $500 budget, there is a Sea & Sea YS-03 kit, which has the strobe, cable, tray and flex arm for $479.00. The YS-03 is a good basic strobe but it only shoots in TTL, there is no manual setting. The Inon S-2000 is $365, a better strobe but you would need everything else. The Backscatter MF-1 is on sale right now for $350. It looks like a good strobe for macro, with a lot of adaptability. I've never used it but I assume it is the same quality as other Backscatter products, which I do use. With regards to a light ring, probably not the best option yet. I have a light ring, love it for macro but it is much more limiting then a strobe. Save it for a B-Day, Anniversary or future Christmas present.

Just as an FYI, I use a TG-6, in an Olympus case with Sea & Sea YS-01 strobes. They are an upgrade form the YS-03 but at a cost. I've been happy with them and I get good results in both Manual and TTL modes. There is a learning curve for them, just FYI. Hope this helps. Look at Backscatter though, lots of good stuff for the TG-6 and some great videos.

Look at www.backscatter.com and then look at what they have under Compact Cameras. When looking at strobes remember you have to include the optical cable too, and some kind of tray with connectors to hold the strobe. If you want to stay all inclusive in your $500 budget, there is a Sea & Sea YS-03 kit, which has the strobe, cable, tray and flex arm for $479.00. The YS-03 is a good basic strobe but it only shoots in TTL, there is no manual setting. The Inon S-2000 is $365, a better strobe but you would need everything else. The Backscatter MF-1 is on sale right now for $350. It looks like a good strobe for macro, with a lot of adaptability. I've never used it but I assume it is the same quality as other Backscatter products, which I do use. With regards to a light ring, probably not the best option yet. I have a light ring, love it for macro but it is much more limiting then a strobe. Save it for a B-Day, Anniversary or future Christmas present.

Just as an FYI, I use a TG-6, in an Olympus case with Sea & Sea YS-01 strobes. They are an upgrade form the YS-03 but at a cost. I've been happy with them and I get good results in both Manual and TTL modes. There is a learning curve for them, just FYI. Hope this helps. Look at Backscatter though, lots of good stuff for the TG-6 and some great videos.
Some good advice here. Look at the Inon S2000 mounted to the accessory shoe on the TG-6.

I went with an inon D200 vs the 2000, it's slightly stronger, with a wider beam and a modeling/ focus light. It's slightly more expensive, but in the future when I add a second strobe...

I bought an Inon Z240 and a video light as a package used from a local diver I found through this or wetpixel.com (can't recall). If you're willing to buy used and take the risk of person to person sales, you can save a decent amount.

Thanks all, very helpful! Would he use video lights in addition to the strobe if he shoots video and stills or does a strobe also function as video lights? he has two lights now on a tray so trying to figure out if he would put the strobe on the camera or an arm.

I have the backscatter mf 1 good for macro meh for anything else
sea and sea ysd2 is a nice strobe and a bit of a discount because of the new ysd3

One of my friends and often dive buddies shoots a TG6 with two YSD2 strobes and a video light:

I am an Inon guy and recommend the S2000 (X2 in due course). You can see his rig above. I use two Inon D2000 (now D200) and wish I had Z240 or Z330s but I am shooting with a Sony A6400 and it's larger sensor needs more light.

Is he wanting something like this for macro?:

James

I actually use video lights for my macro photos and video. I have my own DIY tray with two Big Blue VL 4200P video lights.
Strobes only flash so cannot be used as video lights.

TG6 HERO4 SETUP.jpg

SEA HORSE.jpg

NUDI BEAUTY 2.jpg

Here are two videos using the lights and Super Macro for these Hermit crabs feeding.
Good to watch in full screen. Let your husband continue to use his video lights as he will get great macro photos with them.
Getting a strobe also good.

Back
Top Bottom