Question Degreasers for O2 Cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
nikolay_zhelev

nikolay_zhelev

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,

I'm about to convert my Scubapro MK25Evo and S600 into O2 clean regs for deco stage. I have read several documents for O2 cleaning, however the recommended degreaser products are not available in my country.

I see that in USA, Simple green is frequently used as a degreaser, but back home I can't find it.

I can easily find Meglio and Ethyl Alcohol up to 99% of purity. For european fellow technicians, has anyone used Meglio or Ethyl Alcohol for degreasing? Is there anything against Ethyl Alcohol for metallic and plastic parts degreasing?

Secondly, how do you prepare the second stage for higher O2 concentrations (>40%), as my S600 is mainly plastic and most degreasers are not recommended for plastic parts?

All the best!

IIRC, 135 psi is not a hazard pressure for 100% O2. The second stage really isn't the issue. The first stage, exposed to high pressure is the real danger zone. That being said, cleaning a second stage is just a "good practice".....

@tbone1004 @rjack321 @Jim Lapenta (probably many more I have left off, and no disrespect to whom I have omitted)

Please correct me if I am wrong (FTR - I still clean and use o2 compatible lubes in my seconds)...

IIRC, 135 psi is not a hazard pressure for 100% O2. The second stage really isn't the issue. The first stage, exposed to high pressure is the real danger zone. That being said, cleaning a second stage is just a "good practice".....

@tbone1004 @rjack321 @Jim Lapenta (probably many more I have left off, and no disrespect to whom I have omitted)

Please correct me if I am wrong (FTR - I still clean and use o2 compatible lubes in my seconds)...
Yup, you can use axle grease on a second stage and it wont matter with 100% O2. Nevertheless I still use Tribolube because it is a better lubricant than silicone.

Hi guys,

I see that in USA, Simple green is frequently used as a degreaser, but back home I can't find it.

I can easily find Meglio and Ethyl Alcohol up to 99% of purity. For european fellow technicians, has anyone used Meglio or Ethyl Alcohol for degreasing?
The problem (or may be actually a positive side effect) of using alcohol for cleaning in an ultrasonic cleaner is the vapour and tiny particles that will be created by the process. Which guarantees a good narcotic effect at nitrogen partial pressures of 0.79 :) If you go that route I would recommend to only use a very high quality booze!

I have a feeling that you follow the steps of the pioneers which, in the beginning came up with the same idea as its very logical. But the they figured that they could use some cheapo garbage like simple green and keep the high quality booze for “apre-ski”. Simple green name likely came up as a result of one of the inventors having to much during post cleaning process and reflected their physical and mental state.

Dive shops I've been associated with use dish washing liquid, I currently use Aldi washing powder

Here is a product used by professional oxygen cleaning services: Solstice PF-HP

We used Freon in our ultrasonic cleaners, long-line recirculating systems, and vapor degreasers in clean rooms until the early 2000s. They decided Freon was punching holes in the ozone. We bought it in 55 gallon drums and it was recycled hundreds of times.

Your second stage as noted does not need to be "O2" cleaned. That said, I treat all regs as if they would be used with O2. Even when the kits don't come with O2 compatible orings because it's just easier and treating them this way also tends to ingrain good practices like organization, keeping the bench and tools clean, and only requiring one kind of lube.
I use dawn dish liquid for degreasing. Simple Green works well but even the kind that is clear and "unscented" has a smell. It goes away fairly quickly but I don't want to inhale it.
Even though the second does not need to be O2 clean, I would not use anything but Tribolube or Christolube on it.
You don't want to use any kind of petroleum grease since you don't want to put petroleum products in your lungs in any way, shape, or form.
Another reason that the second does not need O2 cleaning is because as soon as it touches the water it in in contact with millions of organics in some form and is no longer O2 clean anyway. A shop that charges extra for "O2" cleaning of a second stage is ripping you off.

Back
Top Bottom