Now it's time to choose a wrist computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's what I was thinking. Once I decide to add a backup, it'll just seem logical to use the same computer.
You don't necessarily need the same computer, just the same algorithm or similar outcome.....

Ah yes, I forgot to think about the computers needing to agree for immediate dives.
So then, how important would it be to use the same computer? I get it that they don't have to be the same but wouldn't that be the safest scenario?
It isn't necessary that they be the same, but it prevents you from bending the one in your pocket while you are happily paying attention to the other one.
Even with different algorithms, it is pretty easy to bend both of them if you try.

1639454249443.png

It isn't necessary that they be the same, but it prevents you from bending the one in your pocket while you are happily paying attention to the other one.
Even with different algorithms, it is pretty easy to bend both of them if you try.

View attachment 695507
At least the Shearwater wont lock you out.

Backup computer? Are you taking about a backup that you keep in your dive bag incase your primary goes down or do you dive with two computers?
I dive with two computers. Obviously it would be better if they were the same computer, but I already had the Suunto. Failing two identical computers, it makes sense to have the less conservative one as the backup one that you mostly ignore. I do in fact sanity check the backup computer after every few dives, but during the dive I ignore it as long as the primary is working fine.

it makes sense to have the less conservative one as the backup
True, but this may not be a consistent choice. Suunto's recreational RGBM is actually fairly liberal for a clean dive, but subsequent dives is where it earns it's oft-cited "overly conservative" nature. Checking every time becomes painful.

True, but this may not be a consistent choice. Suunto's recreational RGBM is actually fairly liberal for a clean dive, but subsequent dives is where it earns it's oft-cited "overly conservative" nature. Checking every time becomes painful.
Fair point. I'm not actually switching back and forth between the two computers, the peregrine is always the primary. It's not a perfect solution, but it's better (IMHO) than not having a backup computer. In the worst case I lock up the Suunto, then I'm temporarily back to having no backup computer, which is the alternative at the moment.

Too bad. Buy once, cry once, the saying goes

People say this a lot in usually in regards to shearwaters but there are plenty of quality lower priced computers. For me and the many computers I have owned in the last few years an Excursion always comes to my mind as a great lower cost computer that many will be happy with for years. I would have been happy with mine still but I unfortunately have a gear addiction....
At least the Shearwater wont lock you out.
Neither does Garmin unless you want it to but even then you can bypass it.

Usually if your main computer locks you out it's because something was wrong, whether it was a missed obligation or an incorrect setting...ect

Personally if my main locks me out, I probably should stay out for a bit due to lack of attention.

How many people have we seen who bought cheaper computers that turned out to be hard to read, hard to use, and then ended up buying something better?

I always have a good chuckle at the people who bought a Shearwater and then sell it, saying it does too much. Really? You don’t like having a computer that’s easier to read and easier to use? My first computer was a Geo 2.0. Crappy interface and hard to read in my local conditions. Shearwater AI came out late 2016? I got one after I’d been diving about a year. Display and interface were lightning years better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom