Diving Safety Video Series: A thousand ways you might or might not actually die scuba diving, episode 1 - AIR2 octo inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you do “large pointy knives” next?

Good content and level headed presentation of a couple of risks involved. Although I had to watch at 2x speed to avoid falling asleep.

While I found the video interesting I have a whole lot of questions that were left unanswered.
  1. The diver had an Air2 and a LP hose without the proper connection. If he had had a LP hose with a Air2 attachment and the BCD had a standard inflator, would this video be about the dangers of using a standard inflator?
  2. Establishing neutral buoyancy using manual inflation is a standard part of OW training. What was the experience level of this diver and had he ever practiced it before this dive? Again though, would the results have been any different if he had used a non-functioning standard inflator?
  3. If the DM was taking the diver to the surface early, why didn't he take him all the way and ensure he was safe and being picked up. For that matter, where was the diver's buddy and why wasn't he with him?
  4. What was the actual cause of death of the diver? Was it drowning, which could have been linked to a faulty inflator, or was it something else medical, which could have meant that the inflator had nothing to do with it?
I'm sorry if I'm sounding critical, and I don't mean to sound argumentative but I really am asking these questions. I use an Air2, and I like it. I train with it as well as with a secondary air source so I can be ready if needed. I just feel that in this case it is unfair to say the diver's death was linked to the Air2 without more information.

After saying all that, I will subscribe because there is good information presented and I'm not too old to learn.

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom