No more Olympus. Now OM System.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Olympus sold off the camera business and its primary focus is on medical instruments.

Did they not sell that segment of the company? And maybe the new company did not also aquire the rights to the original brand name? I hope they survive please. N

The new company has the rights to the old name. Olympus owns part of the new company still so it isn't a complete sell out from Oly.

Why throw out a catchy name with strong brand recognization for something very generic and unimaginitive-sounding?
I think that is what they tried to do. Many of the cameras were already named OM-... so they are relying on folks knowing what OM means. Sad for the TG guys but the more expensive cameras were and probably will continue to be OM-x

I am pretty sure that the new company (JIP) has only the ability to use the Olympus name for a limited time . As far as I know Olympus Imaging division became OM Digital Solutions which is 95% owned by JIP and Olympus maintained 5% ownership of the company. Hopefully there will be new cameras with new sensors coming soon.
Bill

Hopefully there will be new cameras with new sensors coming soon.

I hope so too and not repackaging of the same manure under a different lable.

A little off topic however I am curious as to which brands Olympus lenses will fit. Any and all info will be appreciated.

A little off topic however I am curious as to which brands Olympus lenses will fit. Any and all info will be appreciated.

Good question. I don't know if all micro 4/3 cameras take the same lens mount.

I just looked it up. All M 4/3 cameras share the same lenses. See the Wiki article on micro 4/3 for a list of cameras.

Micro Four Thirds system - Wikipedia

I just looked it up. All M 4/3 cameras share the same lenses.

That was one of the biggest drivers behind my decision to buy M4/3. I figure that the standard and glass will outlast the electronics in camera bodies. The biggest bummer of being forced to use a new body is it obsoletes my housing.

That was one of the biggest drivers behind my decision to buy M4/3. I figure that the standard and glass will outlast the electronics in camera bodies. The biggest bummer of being forced to use a new body is it obsoletes my housing.

What M4/3 camera do you have now?

Back
Top Bottom