Best method to display photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I have been wanting to display some of our uw photos for years now but not sure the best method for display. Do most of you just enlarge prints? Matte? Glossy? Is there a best size? For the best ones should I spring for canvas?

What service do you recommend?

Thank you.

I've found that matte photo paper produces better results than gloss IMO. I suspect that's a matter of opinion. I print and frame lots of photos on my walls, but I also have a couple "digital" frames. The digital frames get kind of annoying in the evenings because they're bright. I don't really recommend them.

If you've got any B&W shots, check out luster (metallic) photo paper. I find the results appealing.

I'm in love with the epson ecotank 8550 printer. It makes printing photos so cheap that I can easily afford to swap out prints fairly frequently. Of course, the printer isn't super cheap at $700.

If you have some photos you really like I think metallic prints (i.e. prints on aluminum) are most spectacular. Not cheap in any way but really really pretty. Next step would be to get prints on metallic paper (Red River is great), and put the prints in simple frames (depending on your room). I don't think most UW photos look great on canvas but that is a personal opinion. I print a lot and my office has about 30 framed prints (12x16 inch prints in 16x20 mats) and I redo the print portfolio after every trip, but I can print myself. \\Bill

I have been making glossy prints on metal for 8 years or so. Mostly 24x30, some 30x30, and smaller 16x16. I've been ordering from Printique.com, always waiting for their 25-33% off sales around gifting holidays. They do a good job and on the few occasions when there was a problem, they were quick to fix it at no cost. (shipping damage a couple of times) The color accuracy is always excellent and the prints get a lot of praise from visitors.

+4 for metal prints. It's just the way the image "jumps" off the metal. Usually do 20x24" . Even non-divers who have no idea what the animal is called in the image say "That's a great shot"

Bayphoto.com for me. Upload & arrives 2 days later. Their shipping/packaging material are bullet proof.

I like metallic prints too, but not on metal. There are a few types of metallic paper that produce OUTSTANDING results. These would include Fuji Crystal Archive Digital Pearl or Moab Slickrock Metallic Silver paper.

I like Canvas prints for my wall. 16x16 tiles look great. I feel like canvas gives more homey and less art gallery look. But I guess it depends what you are shooting for.

I had hoped to make a poster size print of one photo I especially liked. Then multiply smaller prints to display as a grouping. But when I uploaded on the site I realized the size was very limited if I wanted to keep it as a high quality print. I had forgotten that these are mostly stills I had taken from my husbands videos. So looks like it will be a grouping of small prints. Probably 6x4’s.

Does this change any of this advice?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom