Easy and great diving before Dumaguete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello Phils divers:

We have a reservation - cancellable - to dive for a week in Dumaguete then a week on a LB to Tubbahata in April. We haven’t dived in nearly two years and we would like to pre-pend a week or so to begin diving again is some really calm place(s) which allows us to get to Dumaguete pretty easily. Of course we want to see some nice things once we get going but even though we have 500 - 600 dives, YES, we do need a slow start-up. That’s just “us”.

Also we are .. ahem .. older and we do need a place that will give us full service with regards to carrying the gear. We don’t do shore dives or giant strides any more, just back rolls. That’s “us”, OK?

We prefer reefs to muck.

We have gone through some stuff in those two years and we are SOOOOOO looking forward to diving again!

Thanks for your help.

Welcome back ! We stayed in Turtle Beach in Maolboal which has very pretty reefs with lots of turtles. It is full service diving and backward roll from traditional Filipino boats. You can catch a car ferry across to Dumaguete and be there in a few hours. There are other resorts in the area that are more upmarket.

Anilao would be an easy access from Manila airport. I stayed at Blue Ribbon, they picked me up and dropped me off at the airport. Very friendly staff, nice quite hotel, good diving.
I have done Dauin and Anilao on a trip a couple of times. Great fun.

Welcome back Bill.
I haven't dived also nearly 2yrs unfortunately there is no way out at the moment unless I am prepared to spend 3 wks in quarantine at my own expenses when returning home!!!!
I am inclined to suggest to spend all the pre-LoB time in Dumaguete and its surrounding. If you are feeling adventurous then take a look at Sipalay which is only 4-5hrs away(private transfer).

Have I ever carried anything other than fins, mask and weight in SE Asia? Only if I insisted.

Another vote for just staying longer in the Dumaguete area. Apo Island can be such easy diving that it is where I learned. “Shore diving” is a 5 metre walk from the dive shop down a gentle sand beach. The boat dives involve sitting on the edge of a skiff then a forward push. Facilities are basic but underwater is magic. Of course, current-y exciting dives are also possible once you are feeling confident.

If you are flying into the country via Cebu, Moalboal is certainly worth a look. If flying into Manila, then Anilao. It has a reputation for muck but has much more to offer. Take recent advice on your choice of resort. We had several weekends in Anilao while living in Manila over a decade ago, and my goodness, they were variable.

Bill you should try Cabilao divers (Sanctuary resort) on Cabilao island. (That's next to Bohol)

Small, quiet and neat resort, great client targeted dive center, small boats for 3-4 divers only, the dive spots are only 10 minutes ride max : the most beautiful dropoff is just in front of the resort it takes a 30 sec. boat ride, very nice reefs (hint french owner, and dive center manager : think easy going, comfortable aircon rooms, nice food.) .

Getting there is 1h30 car ride from Tagbilaran airport, getting to Dauin is 1h30 car ride to Tagbilaran port then a 2-3h ferry ride to Dumaguete. Piece of cake.

Reactions: FT

Back
Top Bottom