Air dump blew out on dive today...how best to fix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BT-DT ...

Is/was there a rubber double-gasket that wraps from the outside of the shell through the hole and on the inside of the bladder as opposed to the flange being glued/welded in place?
dx-202920_4b.jpg

If so, you can probably just use a standard bladder flange assembly like this:
dx-202920_2_1.jpg

Add their dump valve since the thread sizes vary depending on manufacturer and year:
dx-202900_1.jpg

And the tools to do it yourself:
dx-209001_1a.jpg

That is $25 in parts and tools. I'm sure someone on the way down would bring them to you if you ask nicely ...

It is a 5-minute install and we could talk you through it.

Of course the above mentioned Tech shop probably has a set lying around if you are willing to take a ferry ride. ETA: I'd call first. :wink:

More important question is why it did this! No point in fixing if it does it again, no way that it could do this if you just inflated it normally.

More important question is why it did this! No point in fixing if it does it again, no way that it could do this if you just inflated it normally.
Failures of things here are not uncommon...especially if left unused for long times. The heat, humidity and salt air seems to be a magical combo. Before the dive, I replaced two deteriorated hoses on my regs, and a dive computer (the boot disintegrated in my hands). The handle on my drybag also disintegrated and fell off. I had left everything at our house here for the last two years while in covid lockdown. Over the many years of wintering here, I had had multiple failures of various items, but never as many as this year.

It will be 2 yrs soon since I last used my gear. I will allocate plenty of time to prepare/repair/service the gear before setting off for a scuba trip if I get the chance!

BT-DT ...

Is/was there a rubber double-gasket that wraps from the outside of the shell through the hole and on the inside of the bladder as opposed to the flange being glued/welded in place?
dx-202920_4b.jpg

dx-202920_2_1.jpg

Add their dump valve since the thread sizes vary depending on manufacturer and year:
dx-202900_1.jpg

dx-209001_1a.jpg

That is $25 in parts and tools. I'm sure someone on the way down would bring them to you if you ask nicely ...

Of course the above mentioned Tech shop probably has a set lying around if you are willing to take a ferry ride. ETA: I'd call first. :wink:
Hi. No, it did not have a flange as described above...near as I can tell.

BT-DT ...

dx-202920_4b.jpg

dx-202920_2_1.jpg

dx-202900_1.jpg

dx-209001_1a.jpg

This is what I would do..^^
If halcyon will not do anything...
Don't know why it's not a 2 piece design, much smarter,

I have seen something similar before,
Its like the plastic stress cracks and discinigrates, into tiny pieces.
I don't know what plastic it is but its trash.

If nothing else, you could see if someone has a BC for sale on the facebook group Divers Market Cozumel.

I have seen something similar before,
Its like the plastic stress cracks and discinigrates, into tiny pieces.
I don't know what plastic it is but its trash.
Yup. I took it all apart today to remove the last (I think) tiny little pieces of plastic. I have heard back from the Halycon dealer in Puerto Aventuras and they said that the bladder is not repairable and that it will need to be replaced, at a minimum. They need to see the wing itself before they can comment on its status.

If nothing else, you could see if someone has a BC for sale on the facebook group Divers Market Cozumel.
Thanks. I have an old Seaquest Diva up in the closet. It been a very long time since I have used it...who knows what might fall off of it. But it is an option...

Back
Top Bottom